Service Disconnect - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2010, 08:04 AM   #1
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Service Disconnect

I am in the process of rebuilding my cabin into a year around house. I had the POCO remove a power pole and transformer that was in my yard which provided my cabin and my neighbor's with power. The new pole and transformer were place in the township road right of way. This POCO no longer allows meters to be mounted on the house and they use and provide a meter pedestal which is now 140 feet from the house. This pedestal has a 225 amp rated disconnect switch and the POCO told me it is not a breaker so this means the cable has to be a service entrance from this pedestal to my main panel. This panel will have the main breaker.
So my question is: Where, in this configuration, is the neutral and ground bonded? Does the switch in the pedestal have any bearing on the issue?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2010, 08:54 AM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7ecorsair View Post
a service entrance from this pedestal to my main panel.

Where, in this configuration, is the neutral and ground bonded?
Your main panel.
Proby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proby View Post
Your main panel.
Thanks, this is what I expected to hear. One reason for my question is really related to another thread:
http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/stran...-ground-77007/
On entry 4 there is a comment that the POCO placed the main disconnect:
Quote:
I didn't think my 200 amp was a subpanel. But the electrician explained that anything after a main disconnect was considered a subpanel. Because the power company connected the main disconnect at the pole, any panel after that is a subpanel.
Just wanting to understand this area better....
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,652

Understanding what service equipment is helps.

NEC definition : The necessary equipment usually consisting of a circuit breaker(s) or switche(s) and fuse(s) connected on the load end of service conductors to a building or other structure,or an other wise designated area and constitute the main control and cutoff for the supply.

The key here is the word 'Usually' which lends to the thought that overcurrent is not always required at the service equipment.

In my experience these situations are rare in residential application.

IMO what the POCO is providing is a isolation device (switch ) at the meter pedestal (point of connection to utility) and overcurrent is not required for a device like this. You will then run 3 wires H-H-N (service entrance drop or lateral) from that device to your load center where you have your main breaker. You will then bond neutral and ground at your load center.

In general the definition of service entrance conductors .. is the conductors from the 'point of connection' to the terminals of the service equipment. In your case the 'service equipment' is the homes load center with main breaker.

If overcurrent was provided at the meter pedestal in the form of a main breaker then that would be your service equipment and you would run 4 wires as a feeder to your homes load center where it would have neutral and ground unbonded and a building disconnect fused or unfused provided at the nearest point of entrance of the feeder... which could be satisfied with a main breaker panel if you wanted.

Stubbie

Last edited by Stubbie; 07-26-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stubbie For This Useful Post:
a7ecorsair (07-26-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement