Separate Circuits In Same J-box? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

separate circuits in same j-box?

Had a quick question for you guys...can you have different circuits in the same j-box? Is this against code?
joseph2293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

This is not a problem. A good idea to mark each hot wire with a circuit number. And do not get the neutrals mixed up.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
Learning by Doing

J-Boxes are cheap. I wouldn't put two circuits in one if I had any way to avoid it.
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2010, 06:42 PM   #4

I kinda figured it wouldn't be a good idea...at least not mix up out of phase mains in the same j-box...i imagine that would be a big no no
Old 02-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
" Euro " electrician

It is more common than what you think espceally with kitchen or other room like bathroom etc.,,

I will give you a example in kitchen this one is pretty common done.

One circuit for SABC { Small Applanice Branch Circuit } and second circuit is lighting circuit something that you used above the sink luminaire.

In commercal I done that pretty often I am not sure if other electrician will chime in with this matter { try that with triphase supply that will give you a headahce if not carefull }

The other common example is MWBC { Mulit Wire Branch Circuit } you will have two circuit in one cable or in conduit that is common as well.

Both above metion items they are legit with NEC and CEC and of course ECF { Electrique Code France }

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
It is more common than what you think espceally with kitchen or other room like bathroom etc.,,

I will give you a example in kitchen this one is pretty common done.

One circuit for SABC { Small Applanice Branch Circuit } and second circuit is lighting circuit something that you used above the sink luminaire.

In commercal I done that pretty often I am not sure if other electrician will chime in with this matter { try that with triphase supply that will give you a headahce if not carefull }

The other common example is MWBC { Mulit Wire Branch Circuit } you will have two circuit in one cable or in conduit that is common as well.

Both above metion items they are legit with NEC and CEC and of course ECF { Electrique Code France }

Merci,Marc
I had a little dilemma similar to what you talked about here...there was a 14-3 wire from a light to a single pole switch which i thought was odd...then later i figured out that they were supplying power and controlling the light with the 14-3 wire...weird
Old 02-10-2010, 10:11 PM   #7
Idiot Emeritus

Rewards Points: 80

It's very common in commercial/industrial to run different circuits in the same J-box. Even different voltages.

One code issue here (really doesn't apply to many houses) is circuits supplied by a normal source can't be in the same conduit/J-boxes as circuits supplied by the emergency system.

Another is that all conductors in a conduit/J-box must be rated for the highest voltage present, regardless of the actual voltage they're carrying.

As stated above, it's somewhat common to have different circuits in one J-box, just label each hot with the circuit number and keep the neutrals separate. All grounds tie together though.

Rob
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:38 PM   #8

perfect i like this forum...any amateur electrician can be a master on here ; )

Thanks to all who replied
Sponsored Links
Advertisement