Security Lighting - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2009, 05:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Security lighting

Hi I want to use a PIR sensor to turn the kitchen lights on as a security system. I envisage using the PIR as a 2 way switch with the kitchen switch. I would need to have provision to isolate the PIR when not wanted. Therefore if an intruder enters the gate at night the kitchen lights would operate and after a selected time the lights would go off. Would someone give me a circut diagram for this?
lemuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2009, 04:03 AM   #2
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,160

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemuzz View Post
.........if an intruder enters the gate at night the kitchen lights would operate .........
lemuzz, That intruder will most likely be the neighbors cat, or a possum, skunk etc. If the idea is to turn on a light as a "scare away" device like a commonly used security light e.g.http://www.acehardware.com/sm-ace-de...i-1286556.html

This type of sensor can be tapped off to turn on an inside light. The biggest concern if using a wired system is how to safely run the wiring without burning the house down and how to connect to a higher wattage load. For this reason the most common by far solution is to keep the security light on the outside of the house. The other advantage is that you will have pathway illumination at night for yourself.

Here is a write up on PIR's http://www.homesecurityguru.com/pass...ed-pir-sensors
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2009, 05:33 AM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

You can find what you need at www.smarthome.com A motion sensor can be used to send a radio frequency through the existing wiring to the kitchen switches. Then you can use this system to also program many different lights to turn on and off randomly at specific time ranges to similate occupency while you are away. Their tech support can guide you through everything you need and how to install it.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2009, 11:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliBob View Post
lemuzz, That intruder will most likely be the neighbors cat, or a possum, skunk etc. If the idea is to turn on a light as a "scare away" device like a commonly used security light e.g.http://www.acehardware.com/sm-ace-de...i-1286556.html

This type of sensor can be tapped off to turn on an inside light. The biggest concern if using a wired system is how to safely run the wiring without burning the house down and how to connect to a higher wattage load. For this reason the most common by far solution is to keep the security light on the outside of the house. The other advantage is that you will have pathway illumination at night for yourself.

Here is a write up on PIR's http://www.homesecurityguru.com/pass...ed-pir-sensors
Hi PaliBob. Skunks no. We dont have them, nothing more dangerous than rabbits lol. Cats maybe will be a problem but can't sensitivity of PIR's be selected? If only 300watts (3 light bulbs ) are involved can the PIR handle that? My thoughts are if intruders only see inside lights go on, they won't know whether the house holder is home. If the outside security light and an inside light go on together they may suspect it is automated. Lem
Old 04-08-2009, 11:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
You can find what you need at www.smarthome.com A motion sensor can be used to send a radio frequency through the existing wiring to the kitchen switches. Then you can use this system to also program many different lights to turn on and off randomly at specific time ranges to similate occupency while you are away. Their tech support can guide you through everything you need and how to install it.
Great site. Haven't checked if they have what I want yet nor if they deal in 230volt gear Thanks for the link. Lem
Old 04-09-2009, 04:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Home View Post
Thanks forum member.I am also looking for this information.
Have a look at this site. Let me know how you get on. Lem
http://www.smarthome.com/forum
Old 06-22-2009, 01:32 PM   #7

I am in agreement with PaliBob. There are a number of products available that would fit your needs. The websites that have been provided are good resources. Here is another site that will provide some additional options as well as Learning Center. www.homeandpersonalsecurity.com
alwaysonthefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement