Second Ground Rod Near Object That Is Higher In Yard? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Oso954
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 07-26-2019, 10:50 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 22
Rewards Points: 38
Default

Second ground rod near object that is higher in yard?


I'm building a deck with an 8 foot observatory dome on it in the back yard.

I'm running 10-3 with a ground wiring directly from the main panel to a 2 breaker sub panel which will go inside the dome (which at the meter there is already a ground rod).

I'm hearing differing opinions on the ground rod situation. My one electrician is saying i should put a dedicated rod up by the observatory pounded into the ground there (8 foot copper with 6awg copper wire coming off that to ground somewhere on the deck/dome).

Others say only one in the system is needed or that this wont help particularly with a lightning strike if one were to occur?

Any thoughts out there?
Thanks in advance
markm75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-26-2019, 11:41 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Utah
Posts: 140
Rewards Points: 256
Default

Re: Second ground rod near object that is higher in yard?


Follow the electricians advice. He know's what he's talking about. I believe it is electical code to ground a sub panel seperately. If you ever need the second ground you'll be glad you have it. What's a few dollars compared to damage, injury, or worse.
lug-nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-26-2019, 11:49 AM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 22
Rewards Points: 38
Default

Re: Second ground rod near object that is higher in yard?


Quote:
Originally Posted by lug-nuts View Post
Follow the electricians advice. He know's what he's talking about. I believe it is electical code to ground a sub panel seperately. If you ever need the second ground you'll be glad you have it. What's a few dollars compared to damage, injury, or worse.
I agree, but i've seen it said that its "bad" to do this, unsure why though, so i was curious.
markm75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-26-2019, 12:05 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 22
Rewards Points: 38
Default

Re: Second ground rod near object that is higher in yard?


Though many say having that rod wont dissipate a lightning strike.
markm75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:30 PM   #5
Member
 
Oso954's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Calif.
Posts: 8,684
Rewards Points: 1,264
Default

Re: Second ground rod near object that is higher in yard?


I think you need to ground rod and ground wire for the subpanel in the dome. (This is in addition to the ground wire from the main panel.)
The dome is very likely to be ruled a structure separate from the house.

As far a grounding “the deck/dome”, I don’t know why someone would suggest that. (wooden deck, plastic Nexdome)
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:36 PM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 22
Rewards Points: 38
Default

Re: Second ground rod near object that is higher in yard?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso954 View Post
I think you need to ground rod and ground wire for the subpanel in the dome. (This is in addition to the ground wire from the main panel.)
The dome is very likely to be ruled a structure separate from the house.

As far a grounding ďthe deck/domeĒ, I donít know why someone would suggest that. (wooden deck, plastic Nexdome)
Ah so in other words, since is a nexdome on a wood deck, the lightning implication is minimal and the ground rod may just be added grounding?
markm75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:22 PM   #7
Member
 
Oso954's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Calif.
Posts: 8,684
Rewards Points: 1,264
Default

Re: Second ground rod near object that is higher in yard?


The ground rod would be additional grounding (required) for the electrical in the detached structure. (Assumes your AHJ would rule the dome detached)
FrodoOne likes this.

Last edited by Oso954; 07-26-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:56 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,462
Rewards Points: 2,854
Default

Re: Second ground rod near object that is higher in yard?


Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75 View Post
I'm building a deck with an 8 foot observatory dome on it in the back yard.

I'm running 10-3 with a ground wiring directly from the main panel to a 2 breaker sub panel which will go inside the dome (which at the meter there is already a ground rod).

I'm hearing differing opinions on the ground rod situation. My one electrician is saying i should put a dedicated rod up by the observatory pounded into the ground there (8 foot copper with 6awg copper wire coming off that to ground somewhere on the deck/dome).

Others say only one in the system is needed or that this wont help particularly with a lightning strike if one were to occur?

Any thoughts out there?
Thanks in advance
I suggest that you view (at least the first 30 minutes of) this video.



It explains the several reasons for Ground Rods at the main panel and the need for another Ground rod at and Sub-Panel.

(Note that the connection to any Ground Rod(s) should be as direct as possible without any loops or unnecessary bends.)
FrodoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:23 AM   #9
Naildriver
 
chandler48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Young Harris, Georgia
Posts: 8,601
Rewards Points: 1,830
Default

Re: Second ground rod near object that is higher in yard?


The separate ground may be required by the AHJ, and is the norm for a sub panel. Not sure why it being higher on the grade would matter. Just for information, a lightning strike can supply a large city with electricity for a good while, so don't think a #6 grounding wire will dissipate one. The grounding rod is required for normal grounding purposes. Nothing in today's world will help a lightning strike.
__________________
Larry......
Half of Communications is Listening, and You can't Listen with your Mouth.
chandler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:05 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 368
Rewards Points: 74
Default

Re: Second ground rod near object that is higher in yard?


If you only running for two circuits - is the panel even necessary, and therefore the grounding rod?


This is more of a question for experts than advice - I thought it was acceptable to run a MWBC to a detached building as long as there is a disconnect.
tribe_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 02:22 PM   #11
Member
 
Oso954's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Calif.
Posts: 8,684
Rewards Points: 1,264
Default

Re: Second ground rod near object that is higher in yard?


Itís not a place to cheap out on electrical.

Personally, Iíd be running a 3rd circuit (dedicated) just for the scope.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts