Seal Exterior Conduit At Disconnects And Panels - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2014, 01:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Seal exterior conduit at disconnects and panels

I'm installing a dual meter panel on a customer-owned service pole to meter my water well pump separately from my house as I'm usually on Tier III and paying approx. 3X base rate for electrical.

I think the conduits - 1" and 1 1/2" Sch 80 PVC, leaving the service panel should be sealed whether or not required as water can enter, also unused knock-outs as I can see daylight through them. Coundulets have gaskets, therefore it seems likely a requirement for side entries at least.

SO, my question: What should I use to seal around the outside of threaded connections? Should I use Duct Seal, or is Silicon RTV sufficient?

Weatherhead? I read about wasps/bees liking to nest in those...

I'm about ready to call for inspection and don't want to pay $100 for a reinspection fee. (ouch. didn't used to be that way, and a service permit didn't cost $350 but $15.
Gene 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 01:44 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,970

Got a picture? If you came out of the bottom of the meter, no sealing is required, if you are above the LINE connections, then you must use sealing locknuts or other means.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
Stubbie (08-10-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,652

Like stickboy said sealing bushing ...need a picture. Are you taling about sealing the inside of the conduit?

I reserve duct seal to seal around the entry hole and conduit into a building/home etc....

Stubbie

Last edited by Stubbie; 08-10-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 02:45 PM   #4
UAW SKILLED TRADES

The weatherhead itself needs no sealing. The conduit it attaches to often times is sealed around the conductors using duct seal, expanding foam to keep out critters like yellow jackets, wasps etc....

Stubbie
Old 08-11-2014, 04:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

sealing service panel at penetrations

Further clarification on situation: I have 2 meters stacked in a pole mounted Eaton panel. The lower meter is connected through PVC 1 1/2", (110v/240v,100 amp) conduit to the house, underground, through a knock out on the bottom of the panel.

The second meter, above, serves the water well pump underground via 1" PVC condulet (for 20 amp) connected through the back of the panel, so it's mounted on a vertical surface. It comes out the back so it exits next to the pole as well; easy to anchor. I am concerned that that condulet attachment, through the panel back, might allow water to enter above the lower breaker so I want to ensure a watertight connection.

Can I seal around it with silicone RVL, or should I use Duct Seal, or an acrylic caulk like Big Gap?

I also would like to seal other shall penetrations through the panel, such as extra screw holes, and around unused knockouts, because I can see light around them. They are located on the side of the panel and will also allow water to enter.

I'm not so concerned about water entering the conduit from inside the panel; the threaded ends are well above the bottom of the panel, so it would take a half inch or more of water that would surely run out around the bottom before it ever got that high.

I would like to seal the inside of the mast against wasps and bees as there is an active bee hive close by and they will swarm eventually. We do get wasps nesting occasionally. I've read canned urethane foam works well and can be removed should need be.

I hope that is clear enough.
Gene 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:14 PM   #6
UAW SKILLED TRADES

This is an eaton meter socket so you have a couple of these or something similar /

Stubbie
Old 08-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #7
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Generally we do not use sealants on meter sockets that are 3r rated. I don't think an inspector will ding you for it though. Sometimes when using SE cable the inspector may ask for sealant at the clamp/bushing depending on the entry point.

Stubbie

Last edited by Stubbie; 08-11-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:32 PM   #8
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,970

Understanding the definition of 3R may help the OP also....

3R - Intended for outdoor use. Provides a degree of protection against falling rain and ice formation. Meets rod entry, rain, external icing, and rust-resistance design tests.

The definition below is what the OP is assuming he will attain....

4 and 4X Watertight (weatherproof). Must exclude at least 65 GPM of water from 1-in. nozzle delivered from a distance not less than 10 ft for 5 min. Used outdoors on ship docks, in dairies, and in breweries. The 4X model has corrosion resistance.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
clw1963 (08-11-2014), Stubbie (08-11-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement