Screwed Up, What Do I Do? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2010, 11:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Screwed up, what do i do?

I was hanging new kitchen cabinets and hit a wire with my screw, i popped a hole in the wall and the wire is comming from my light switch below and where i hit it theres about 5-6" of good wire left but then it goes straight into the roof who knows where and there is no slack. I could run the wire into a plug box or junction box but there would not be much wire at all. I wouldnt hide it just put a plate on it and paint it. But right now i need the wore to extend from the box 6" , what the hell can i do so i dont have to rip out drywall everywhere to re run this wire?????: censored:
83trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2010, 12:03 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Put your J-box in and cut the cable for proper fit, replace the run down to the switch with a longer cable.
hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2010, 12:05 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,016

Is there attic above and can you get to the wire there? If so, put a junction box in the attic and drop a new piece of wire down to the switch.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2010, 12:10 AM   #4

OK no 2 store house, this is on the main level. I did run a new line from the swith got tons of wire there but the last little bit of the line i burnt up is only like 5 inches before it disapears into the roof of the main level under the above stairs.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
Inspector/Instructor

Rewards Points: 250

You may have to get good at patching drywall. You need to replace the burnt wire.
codeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:32 AM   #6

Do i need to replace the entire run of wire because what has happened? I got to a point where the sheating is still good on all the wire?
Old 01-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,800

Do you have at least 5 inches of unburned wire and 1 inch of unburned Romex jacket protruding from the wood?

Try this:

Get a metal junction box, knock out one of the holes that would let you fit the box over the wires and fasten the box to the wood framing. Put a Romex cable box clamp in the hole with most of the clamp on the inside and then fasten the box in place. Knock out another hole for the continuing cable.

The cover for this box must remain exposed; in the back of a cabinet is okay. Add an extension ring if needed so the cover will be flush with the wall surface and not look as bad.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:06 AM   #8

Yes I have prob 5 inches max comming out. So get a junction box put it farther back in the wall then use extender ring to bring it out flush with the wall then? Yes I have no probelm leaving that exposed, it will be above my kitchen cabinet.

Can I use the center nock out on a junction box? Somewhere i read you cant but might be for another reason.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:10 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

if you are not comfortable with electrical fix please get electrician. quick fix shouldnt cost much and it will be done safe
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:17 AM   #10

I am confortable with electrical i just wired my whole kitchen(and previously my garage) and when the inspector came in he asked what do you do? I told him oil and gas , he told me I should have been an electrician. He was very happy with how i did my electrical.

I just need some ideas on the best way to do this. I reall dont want to rip out the roof cause im not sure where this wire is going to end up. Or that I cant get to it.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:17 AM   #11
Inspector/Instructor

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpolk View Post
if you are not comfortable with electrical fix please get electrician. quick fix shouldnt cost much and it will be done safe
Good Advice!
codeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:18 AM   #12
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,412

IF you can get to this wire to make the repair on the ground floor level, an do make the repair properly, within a junction box: The new JC must be accessible after the repair is made. It cannot be covered with drywall nor the kitchen cabinets. As stated, the cover for this new JB must be accessible, even if within the cabinet. I'm going out on a limb here, but will dig into my resources to refresh my memory: I was taught, but it may be within code, NOT to put a Romex clamp within a box. The reasoning was that the screws of the Romex clamp would violate NEC. Maybe someone will clarify this. Thanks, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
IF you can get to this wire to make the repair on the ground floor level, an do make the repair properly, within a junction box: The new JC must be accessible after the repair is made. It cannot be covered with drywall nor the kitchen cabinets. As stated, the cover for this new JB must be accessible, even if within the cabinet. I'm going out on a limb here, but will dig into my resources to refresh my memory: I was taught, but it may be within code, NOT to put a Romex clamp within a box. The reasoning was that the screws of the Romex clamp would violate NEC. Maybe someone will clarify this. Thanks, David
No this wont be covered by drywall or a cabinet. It will sit right above my cabinet near the roof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement