Safety Issue?? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2010, 06:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

safety issue??

At the box, outside, where power is supplied to my mobile home, there is a 50 amp breaker. Connected to that, inside my home is a breaker box with a combined 180 amp breakers. More than half of the outlets in my house do not work. I counted 8 circuits from the breaker box inside the house. Is this wiring safe? do I need to upgrade the outside breaker ?
james1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 06:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 520

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1234 View Post
At the box, outside, where power is supplied to my mobile home, there is a 50 amp breaker. Connected to that, inside my home is a breaker box with a combined 180 amp breakers. More than half of the outlets in my house do not work. I counted 8 circuits from the breaker box inside the house. Is this wiring safe? do I need to upgrade the outside breaker ?
Check and see if the wire is aluminium ? Look and see if the breaker's are bad of why they don't work ? All the breakers protect each circut and not all are on at the same time. How old is the mobile home ? Maybe time to upgrade to at least 100 amp and find out about the box inside the house. Not safe !!!
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 5,082

Please explain how upgrading this service will make it safer.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 07:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 520

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
Please explain how upgrading this service will make it safer.
Like i ask for more info? First off find out why the breakers are not working. Up grading to just a 100 amp service and not fixing the stuff inside Won't make it safer. You should do both or fix the inside stuff ?????? I belive a 50 amp service may be all that is their? If inside a mobile home park ? That maybe all they have ? more info ? Like i said more info would help. Just guessing about something that could be dangerest? if people don't know . Get a electricion . And be done with all this. Sometime's it is just better to just read and go on by . Most don't have a clue. Been around this stuff all my life. thanks for reading
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

There isn't a single thing wrong with having 180a of breakers & a 50a service

The fact that 1/2 the breakers do not work could be due to any number of reasons

I have a 200a service & well over 1500a of breakers
In a mobile home park in many cases you are limited to a 50a service

Quote:
Originally Posted by del schisler View Post
Not safe !!!

Its not a good idea to tell someone something is unsafe when you do not actually know

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:41 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1234 View Post
Most mobile homes I have see they useally have outdoor meter socket and main breaker or fuses right below the meter socket and a bit of the time I useally find them with bad connection.

This part may qualifed a diy repair but very limited due one part of the meter main disconnecion one set of bussbar or conductors are alive all the time and unfused so if you are not too confortable then you will be wiser to get a hold of electrician to come out and have them check the connection.

The outside breaker will only sized by the conductor size nothing more than that so like example if you have 16mm˛ { #6 AWG } you may have either 50 or 60 amp main breaker { 50 is more common unless you have alum cable then it will change the rating a bit }

that I will check that area first then check the breaker or fuse box inside to make sure they are ok as well.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frenchelectrican For This Useful Post:
Scuba_Dave (08-30-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement