Running Wire To Shed For Welding - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2016, 07:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Running wire to shed for welding

Building a new shed...

I want to be able to weld in the shed (180amp stick welder)
I also want a few standard 110 outlets, a light or two and MAYBE an exterior yard light

I have a 200amp service panel in my basement.

From the basement to the shed will be about 50ft (probably less than that) from panel to sub panel.

My trench is already open and about 2ft deep.

I have (1 3/4'' OD, inside is 1 3/8'') continues conduit made for burying large coax. I could get some 2 1/2'' ID conduit if need be, but I thought this would suffice... (Yay for no joints and no leaks!)

I know I need individual conductors inside the conduit, will 6AWG suffice or should I go with 4?

Thanks!
John7711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2016, 08:22 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 312

Re: Running wire to shed for welding

"...I have (1 3/4'' OD, inside is 1 3/8'') continues conduit made for burying large coax..." = Is this electrical conduit, or some other type of tubing for another original purposes? And how does the word "continues" apply in your sentence?

"...I know I need individual conductors inside the conduit, will 6AWG suffice or should I go with 4?..." = #6 is plenty. For a qty=3 of #6AWG conductors, plus a #8 gnd conductor, you'll need an 1 1/4" PVC conduit.

The depth of your trench is perfect.
Power- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2016, 08:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 7,740

#6 is good for 37A
How much power does your welder require ?
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2016, 08:29 PM   #4

My bad! CONTINOUS! Its one continuous piece, no joints. PVC I guess? Its thick heavy duty plastic. It comes on a large spool for cable contractors.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post
#6 is good for 37A
How much power does your welder require ?

Whatayaknow, its says right on it!

INPUT:
Single Phase
230 Volts
60 Cycle
37 Amps

Also, should I have my sub panel ground inside the shed? I'm going to pour concrete in a week and I have a 1/2" 8ft ground rod I can use. Even if I don't need it for the electrical wiring, it would be nice to have a solid ground inside the shed.

Last edited by John7711; 10-28-2016 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:48 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

You can try asking your city inspector if they'll accept the pipe you have....they might! I know our utilities out here use irrigation pipe to run the street lighting conductors as it comes in a roll, it's strong, and easy to pull through. Of course, it's the utilities, and they likely get away with it.

Regarding the ampacity of #6, it likely varies according to what the local authorities deem as acceptable. But, here in Canada/US, #6 is good for about 65amps.

A 180amp stick welder will require about 40-45 amps at 240vac.....and that's when your welding with full heat!!! Its pretty unlikely someone welding in their residential shed will be using 180amps....your not welding car fenders with that kind of heat. You'd be welding 1" carbon steel!!! Notwithstanding this, all welders have duty cycles.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:51 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 30,876

60 feet is not far. I would install the #6 on 60 amp sub panel.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:50 AM   #8
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 9,820

I need to run about 200' of wire to a shed that will just be running some lights and a couple of garage doors. Any recommendations?

Sorry to piggyback on thread but it seemed a good option.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power- View Post
You can try asking your city inspector if they'll accept the pipe you have....they might! I know our utilities out here use irrigation pipe to run the street lighting conductors as it comes in a roll, it's strong, and easy to pull through. Of course, it's the utilities, and they likely get away with it.

Regarding the ampacity of #6, it likely varies according to what the local authorities deem as acceptable. But, here in Canada/US, #6 is good for about 65amps.

A 180amp stick welder will require about 40-45 amps at 240vac.....and that's when your welding with full heat!!! Its pretty unlikely someone welding in their residential shed will be using 180amps....your not welding car fenders with that kind of heat. You'd be welding 1" carbon steel!!! Notwithstanding this, all welders have duty cycles.

For my needs, the most I would ever need is about 150amps and that is few and far between, most of what do, which is still only occasionally, is about 110 amps.

Since the shed is a detached building, I should have a separate ground rod in the shed for the sub panel, correct?

The shed I'm planning on building will be made with square tube steel, should I add a separate ground rod for the shed frame as well?
Old 10-29-2016, 10:31 AM   #10
Electrical Contractor

@John7711
"...Since the shed is a detached building, I should have a separate ground rod in the shed for the sub panel, correct?..." = No, the panel in your shed is not a service, it's just a glamorized branch circuit. Just pull a ground conductor in with your hot/hot/neutral. I would pull in a #8 AWG green.

"...The shed I'm planning on building will be made with square tube steel, should I add a separate ground rod for the shed frame as well?..." = You don't need a separate ground. It would be a good idea to jump your sub panel's frame chassis (ground) to the HSS tubing frame of your shed. Use a ground lug to electrically and mechanically connect your bonding jumper (use some leftover #8 green) to the steel tubing. Picture of lug to follow.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:32 AM   #11
Electrical Contractor

Ground lug....use something like this
Attached Thumbnails
Running wire to shed for welding-ground-lug.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement