Running Wire To Box Between Two Studs - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2010, 02:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 24

Running wire to box between two studs

Hello,

I am in the process of relocating a light fixture to better center it over a bathroom sink. This photo illustrates what I intend to do.

I expect I will use a box like this to get it centered between the studs.

My questions relate to the wiring. It looks like the wiring I have is too short to make it to the new box. I also figure i would need fully sheathed wiring until it gets into the box, is this correct?

This wiring originates from another light on the same wall (two lights over two sinks in a bathroom), about 6 feet away. Do I have any options beside replacing the wiring from the other light to this one or putting an accessible junction in the wall?

Last, this wire (or the new one) will come through a hole in the stud, then travel to the box mounted between the two studs. I seem to remember reading somewhere that a wire has to be secured to the stud within a certain distance from an electrical box. Does such a rule apply in this case, where the box is between two studs?

Thank you for any advice!
Eclipse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2010, 07:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Yes, the sheathing must be inside the box. You can replace the wire, or leave it in the original box and add a new wire between the boxes. The original box cannot be covered/hidden with drywall, but can have a blank plate as a cover.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
Handyman

Rewards Points: 520

IMO you should be able to staple the wire on the right side of the stud just before it enters the hole. And yes, run a new wire and chuck the old one.

Just curious...how were you planning on mounting the new box?
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2010, 01:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 24

I was thinking I would use a box like this:
Is this box OK for this application?

When I run the new wire across the wall, is it usually better from a drywall repair standpoint to cut one large section out of the drywall or smaller sections at each stud along the way? I'm going about 6 feet, and have no attic access. This assumes I won't be able to use the old wire to fish the new one.

Thanks!
Eclipse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 23,990

A hole counts as secured. The cable must be replaced or an accessible junction box used.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:09 PM   #6
Handyman

Rewards Points: 520

Sure, that box should work fine although you can buy standard boxes with the brackets also. As far as drywalling goes, you will save time if you just cut a long rectangle but it depends on how good you are at drywall repair If you do the rectangle you can install 2x4's to mount just a regular octo-box to save some money.
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 5,082

Is the existing box that you are keeping to the left or to the right of the new location?
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement