Running Romex Through Floor Joists - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 165

Running Romex Through Floor Joists

I need to run power to the opposite wall in my basement. Joists are exposed above and sit on a top plate laid on concrete block. They run perpendicular to where I want to go. There are several cables already running there, they go through holes drilled in the joists. Is this ok to do for the new work? Is it also okay to just run along the perimeter and secure it to the top plate? This is residential work, joists are about 8' above finished floor.
smata67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,528

look at this guideline:
Attached Thumbnails
Running Romex Through Floor Joists-211755_front200.jpg  
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,528

And this:
Attached Thumbnails
Running Romex Through Floor Joists-switch-switch-load.jpg  
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hammerlane For This Useful Post:
PaliBob (04-11-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

in addition to the hole location/size requirements from a structural standpoint, also note the NEC requirements. you will need to be a minimum 1.25" inches away from the nearest wood edge (i.e. bottom of the joist). you can be closer but then you need steel plates or similar to protect the cable. note being closer would not be good from a structural standpoint.

what size cables are you running? if they are larger than 2/6 or 3/8, they can be run along the bottom of the joists. smaller cables must be through the joists or on running boards. even if you can run on the bottom of the joists, think about if you ever want to finish the basement someday.

when you say 'run along the top plate', do you mean the sill plate? and would this be on the vertical face of the plate? if the plate is flush with the interior concrete wall, i would say it is part of the wall and now needs additional protection (in conduit, etc.) but what if the plate isn't flush with the concrete wall, such that there was 1.25" of space between the cable and the face of the concrete, i would argue it falls under the condition of 'installed in a shallow groove' and could be stapled to the vertical face of the sill, just like being stapled to a stud.
itsnotrequired is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement