Running An Outdoor Outlet From The Basement - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2015, 12:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 66

Running an outdoor outlet from the basement

Hey all, I'm looking for some general tips on running an outlet from my basement panel to the outside patio.

The biggest decision I have is whether to drill through the brick foundation or run the wire up and out through the wood clapboard. I think the height of going through the masonry would look better but I'll do whatever is best practice.

I know I'll need a wet location box and outlet and outdoor rated romex, can I just drill a hole and run a pvc conduit through or is there a particular product I should get?

Attached are pics of the inside/outside. Luckily the panel is right next to where I want to run the outlet.

Running an outdoor outlet from the basement-imageuploadedbydiy-chat1436719313.107654.jpgRunning an outdoor outlet from the basement-imageuploadedbydiy-chat1436719334.226691.jpg
bvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2015, 12:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 125

Are you just mounting it on the wall or extending further out the deck
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2015, 01:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,396

you can go threw the wood above the foundation..

measure up from from a point on the inside and outside of the window to make sure you will wind up "up" above the sheatrock ceiling and up in the floor joist area.
cut a piece of sheat rock out (like 8"x8", then support it back in with a couple of pieces of wood and spackle when done) to check up in the joist area that you are not going to drill into a wire or pipe or anything..

the joist look like they are going in the direction of the panel so you can probably snake across and poke it out over the panel..

and run it into the panel, or down the wood into an added box for another receptacle at the panel…if you want..

seal outside penetration with duct seal or caulk..
ritelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2015, 02:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 66

@jimn01 it's going on the wall, no deck right now just a patio
@ritelec I'm taking down the drywall piece by piece because it was done in the 60s and is awful. I can def run it along the joists
bvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:34 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 32

I too would stay higher in that case and not screw with the brick. You will want it at that height anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ivanjay205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement