Rough Inspection/outlets/breakers - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2010, 07:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 93

Rough Inspection/outlets/breakers

I had the rough inspection and passed the other day. Ready to move forward. What is the order of business. The outlets and switches don't go right in because the insulation and walls have yet to be installed/hung, correct? Can the breakers go in though so I can utilize the lights? Would like to get good lighting and some power in there.

Also few questions about the outlets, is there a specific type of outlet that I need to use? Or that is required? If I have 20 amp circuits do I or should I use 20 amp recepticles? Or can I use 15 amps?

And just to clarify, the wires are all pigtailed and then connect to one set of screws, no matter how many wires are entering the box, is this right? So even if two wires are entering it is ideal to pigtail and connect as to putting each to a set of screws? This is done in case the outlet fails, the rest of the run will have power am I right on with that?
bfan781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2010, 07:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

I can only respond to the receptacles portion... on a 20A circuit you are fine using 15A receptacles.
brich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2010, 08:00 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 24,052

What's your location?
If you are in Canada you must use 20 amp recpetacles on a 20 amp circuit. You can use the T slots that accept both 15 and 20 amp plugs.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2010, 08:06 AM   #4
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,662

Typically the devices are installed after the drywall is hung and finished. Sometimes the devices are in a seam and trying to finish around them is a pain. Also the ears should be on top of the drywall.

If you need power just install a receptacle on a dedicated circuit like the washer. That way you won't have live wires everywhere to worry about.

In the US if there is more than one spot to plug into the circuit you can use 15 amp receptacles on the 20 amp circuits. A standard receptacle counts as two places.

The screws can be used or you can pigtail on the receptacles. Multiwire circuits need to have the neutrals pigtailed and cannot rely on the device for the splice.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:00 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 93

I definitely plan on installing the outlets after the drywall is up. I was just curious if the breakers can go in so I can utilize the recessed's. No outlets have multi circuits either.
bfan781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:09 AM   #6
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,662

Just be sure to protect the panel and breakers from drywall dust and paint. You will also need to keep everyone out of the energized panel.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:44 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
Just be sure to protect the panel and breakers from drywall dust and paint. You will also need to keep everyone out of the energized panel.
I always cut a piece of cardboard and squeeze it into the panel. The panel cover will just get messed up.

If your doing alot of this work yourself, I would wait to put all covers and trims on until after painting is 100%. But check to make sure that all the covers will cover the drywall where it has been cut out around any device.
voltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement