Rewiring A Steam Locomotive - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2010, 09:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Rewiring A Steam Locomotive

Hi,

I have a problem im faced with regarding the wiring of a Steam Locomotive.

It currently uses a 32V steam driven generator. We are looking at installing a new 24v Alternator. I was hoping that I could find an internaly excited alternator so I did not have to use a battery, this is proving difficult so I have come up with option B.

Option B is to install a deep cycle battery so it will remain on all the time. I didn't want the headlights to come on while the alternator is not in opperation (over night). I thought about using a battery isolator, but it will get forgotten (Electrics aren't something you think about all the time on a steam loco). Is there a relay that I could incorporate into the circuit that will allow the headlights to be switched on only when the alternator is opperating?

If you could suggest a possible solution it would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks
wigman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

An on/off switch for the battery?
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2010, 09:28 PM   #3

Yes that is an option but I really don't want to rely on that as it will get forgotten.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 12:52 AM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

This is on full sized locomovite ??

There is a 32 v alternator on market but normally you will find this in marine section due majorty of steam and diesel locomovite use 32 volt headlight { some use 64 volts as well so watch out on that }

And pretty good precentage of locomotive headlight they will have somesort of dimmer switch when idleing or in park mode they will leave headlight dim { this is true during reverse run }

If you have more question with steam or diesel locomovite let me know due I work on quite few of them.

Merci,Marc

P.S to the reader if you want to know how this steam turbine work on locomovite so here the link

Last edited by frenchelectrican; 03-01-2010 at 12:59 AM. Reason: add a link realted to steam locomovite
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:01 AM   #5

Yes it is a full size Loco

We are trying to move away from 32v as it is extreamly hard to find the equipment and as soon as you mention 32v it doubles in price. Hense the change. The dimmer switch has an inline resistor which will need to be reduced in size also.

I have been a driver for about 4 Years and a fireman about 13, they are addictive hey.

Thanks
Old 03-01-2010, 01:09 AM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Ok understood this one.

Yes you can able get 24 volts alternator and lamps pretty easy due alot of commercal equiment typically use 24 volts system.

Let me run you a Idea it may slove some of your issue there so I will suggest have a master switch in the cab near the fireman station { spot } so that will act like isolator switch to turn off the electrical system from the battery and run the 24 volt postive lead from battery to alternator and leave it perament you can able put the voltage regulator near to it all you need a " signal " wire or switched power source to enable the alternator to run.

Then from there at the main isolatior switch location you can branch out the circuits as need for locomovtive headlight { BTW it will either come in PAR 64 or PS36 shape one of the two and yeah you can able get them in 200 watt verison }
Plus couple 24 volts bulbs for inside the cab for gauge reading etc plus a master cab light.

Is your Locomovite is coal fired or oil fired ?

Merci,Marc

{ I am certifed to run both diesel and steam locomovite as need due I work on most of diesel locomovites and a bit of steamers }

Wingman27 here my link what I did rewired this locomotive it is a monster { to Europe standard } {217 tons plus 4,000 CV { HP } }{ BTW this link is in French but see the loco you will understand it }

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1gpW...eature=related

Last edited by frenchelectrican; 03-01-2010 at 01:24 AM. Reason: add a link for wingman27
Old 03-01-2010, 08:15 AM   #7
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,412

When my Dad went to work with a Railroad, back in the mid-50's, they still had one operational steam locomotive for yard work. I loved to watch that unit work. The unit in the clip is much larger and it's great to see it running. It went by a bit fast but is it a 4-8-2 (or 4?). David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:14 PM   #8
" Euro " electrician

David Thurman.,

To answer your question related to this French locomovite yes it is a class 2-8-2 + B-B set up and I know you will ask me this is coal or wood it can be burnable with either fuel but that time we set up to run on wood due we have issue with grates that time.

And it is capable to get up at least 200 Km/h { apx 120 MPH }.

Merci,Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement