Revisiting Aquestion I Posted Last Week - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2010, 05:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Revisiting aquestion I posted last week

Splitting a 220v circuit into two 110v. Got all of the pertinent information, and thought I was doing fine until I learned, as the result of another question, that the lighting on one branch of the split run with #14 wire on one of my 20A circuit is a big NO NO.

New question: Can I simply change the double 20A breaker in the panel to a double 15A breaker to serve the splits? Wire from the panel is an old dryer line, #10/3. Split is in a new junction box which I needed primarily for lighting and a couple of low use plugs in a new stairway and hallway. Neither new circuit is going to have much on it, so I could actually cap off one leg, but thought that I would use one half for the plugs, and one for the lights.

OK ? Any issues ?

As always, thanks !!
dsoelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsoelter View Post
Splitting a 220v circuit into two 110v. Got all of the pertinent information, and thought I was doing fine until I learned, as the result of another question, that the lighting on one branch of the split run with #14 wire on one of my 20A circuit is a big NO NO.

New question: Can I simply change the double 20A breaker in the panel to a double 15A breaker to serve the splits? Wire from the panel is an old dryer line, #10/3. Split is in a new junction box which I needed primarily for lighting and a couple of low use plugs in a new stairway and hallway. Neither new circuit is going to have much on it, so I could actually cap off one leg, but thought that I would use one half for the plugs, and one for the lights.

OK ? Any issues ?

As always, thanks !!
Yes, you can oversize the wire for a circuit. You would be fine using a 15A breaker with #10 wire.

Make sure that you use a maximum of a 20A breaker on the second circuit because even tho you have #10 wire, there will be #12 or smaller downstream. You can't feed a general receptacle circuit with 30A anyway.
Proby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,024

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsoelter View Post

OK ? Any issues ?

As always, thanks !!
Should be fine, change the breaker to a 15A.
Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

you should be ok as long you use the 15 amp duex pole breakers due you have 2.5mm˛ { #14 AWG } conductors.

And make a note on the 6.0mm˛ { #10 AWG } conductor to give someone else a head up what that is served on so that way someone in future don't change it to 30 amp breaker for some reason.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement