Replacing Pot Lights - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2010, 05:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing pot lights

I just moved into a 30 yr old house and I've been in full-tilt update mode until yesterday. I've got an issue with some old pot (can) lights I'm trying to replace over both upstairs showers.
The crawlspace in the attic is too tight to get to them from above so I have to work from below. The problem is the lights are old and not rated to come into contact with insulation. When installed they put a small cardboard box over both and covered w/ blown insulation which I've read is a fire hazard.
Since the metal light frames are nailed to the studs I can't remove them from below and the opening won't allow me to slide the replacement pot lights through.

Any thoughts on what I can do?

Thanks!
tackvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2010, 08:32 AM   #2
Handyman

Rewards Points: 520

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackvo View Post
When installed they put a small cardboard box over both Thanks!
Sheeesh

I had the same problem but it was on the main level with no access from up top. I just shut off the power and hammered away at the fixture enough to get at the braces. Then I cut them with a hacksaw and bent them out of the way.
It would have been cheaper for the customer if she had just let me cut the drywall out and replaced it but she hated the thought of dust.
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2010, 09:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the info... I had thought about cutting the frames out just wasn't sure what I could use in a 6" hole that'd be effective. I tried a pair of metal snips but can't get enough leverage... a hacksaw might work if I can find one narrow enough.
I'd also thought about cutting a hole in the drywall but I'm a HORRIBLE drywall finisher. Think I'd do more damage that way.
tackvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement