Replacing An 'old' Temporary Outdoor Power Pole, RV SERVICE - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By chandler48
  • 1 Post By Wiredindallas
  • 2 Post By NCmountainCabin

Old 06-09-2019, 07:45 PM   #1
wNCmountainCabin

Rewards Points: 198
Question

replacing an 'old' temporary Outdoor power Pole, RV SERVICE

hi

I'm considering a purchase of a property which includes water, septic, and existing electrical(though not active, meter pulled)...

though, when inspecting the property, the power pole, in the middle of the property, which is where the overhead wires originally came in, and where a previous mobile home sat, has all the wires overhead cut, and no wires go to any street utility pole.
There is a meter box, without the meter, at about 5', where the overhead 'weatherhead' main lines enter. There is also a 200amp breaker box, where the main lines are cut both above and below the breaker - there is nothing else in the box. I am supposing that this was the 'Main disconnect' for the customer to use when running the outgoing breaker wires to their mobile home's main panel.

All that being said, the utility company came and looked, at my request to make sure that we could use the existing equipment, and was told that this 'pole', which is a wood 4 x 6(approx) sized 10' high pole, was no longer 'acceptable' for on-property 'mobile home hang poles' and must be replaced with a ROUND, much thicker, 20' minimum exposed height pole. Ok. He also mentioned that while the existing 'boxes' could probably be transferred to the 'new' pole, it might be best to use new equipment. He also said that the Utility would then provide the wiring from the street to the new pole, and down into the meter base, for up to 200' at no charge.

Now, my needs are not as the original user - I won't be having a 'mobile home', but an RV Motorhome, with 50amp 240v typical RV service, for my motorhome to plug into.
I already OWN a 50amp box and female receptacle, and already own a double-pole 50amp breaker set, and large 'underground rated' 4 wire runs that I've used successfully several times before, in various 'private' situations where attaching to an existing outdoor 'Main Panel' was required.

My Question: After talking with a local electrician, he advised me to invest in a new combination 'Meter and Outdoor Main Panel with Thru Lugs'(thru lugs for future expansion of a home, etc)......Since I have my own experience in what the wiring requirements into a breaker panel are, and my own RV service equipment for the motorhome connection outlet, would I be a candidate to install my own new POLE, and to purchase and install my own combination 'Meter and Outdoor Main Panel with Thru Lugs' on the pole myself....then ask the Utility company to come and connect their side?
(or is this something only a licensed electrician is allowed to do for a utility?)

here's a pic of a 'combination' outdoor panel, or something similar to my purchase consideration...
Attached Thumbnails
replacing an 'old' temporary Outdoor power Pole, RV SERVICE-81ahi7z9x6l._sl1500_.jpg  
NCmountainCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 08:27 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 946

Re: replacing an 'old' temporary Outdoor power Pole, RV SERVICE

I would prepare for future use and just not what is needed now.

Here the POCO will provide most poles based on usage.
How far is the main power to where your pole will be?
jbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2019, 01:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,076

I think it will depend on what your state allows a property owner to do on his or her own property. In NJ a homeowner can do electrical work on a detached house that he lives in. No work on rental property or multifamily such as a condo.

Call your local building department.

MrElectrician.TV
MrElectricianTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2019, 05:27 PM   #4
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 4,602

Are you not a candidate for underground service?? Much easier to do. Who is your POCO? BRMEMC??
MrElectricianTV likes this.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:40 PM   #5
wNCmountainCabin

no, this is property in ne AL, for our motorhome - local Arab Utilities provides service
Old 06-10-2019, 06:09 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 58

Is this in an incorporated town? If so, depends upon if the power company requires a city release. Also, be sure to get approval from the power company for he meter panel combo you are using. In North Texas this type is not accepted even though possibly ok elsewhere. I do agree with a panel with feed thru lugs.
MrElectricianTV likes this.
Wiredindallas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:36 AM   #7
wNCmountainCabin

right, I'll confirm with the Utility the 'correct' panel type, and we are in an unincorporated area of the county - the Utility, which is a city utility, serves a fairly small geographical area.

Our town where I grew up was the same, the City itself provided power within the city limits, and several other power providers, especially EMC's provided power outside of those limits - it's all a fairly rural area. The City participated with MEAG(Municipal Electric Association) where it was fed power from various 'partly owned' generating facilities, whether coal, water, or nuclear. These facilities were also partly owned by the much larger 'statewide' power provider, as well as many other cities and municipalities thruout the state. We had an electrical foreman, and 2 linemen, along with several trucks, a bucket truck, and a crane truck... as a city with less than 2,000 doesn't need much more than that.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:21 AM   #8
wNCmountainCabin

Wink

I confirmed with the master Lineman about how to best meet my needs, and can do it myself, with their inspection before attaching the Utility lines... I found their information right on their own website...even for a 'Camper' utility pole design, which is really what I'm looking for anyway...

While I could install a 'RV Service' box, the Utility requires this panel to have a Main Breaker, which RV Service boxes don't typically come with, so I will use a 'combo' Meter and Main 200amp Box, with thru lugs, for future usage... and then attach my own 50amp RV service box, and 30amp RV service box, below, on the pole, later.
Attached Thumbnails
replacing an 'old' temporary Outdoor power Pole, RV SERVICE-camper-pole-design-reqs.png   replacing an 'old' temporary Outdoor power Pole, RV SERVICE-camper-pole-wire-reqs.png  
jbfan and MrElectricianTV like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement