Replacing My 150 Amp Wire To 200 Amp Due To Bad Cable - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2009, 11:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Wink

Replacing my 150 amp wire to 200 amp due to bad cable

Recently my 150 amp cable from the xsfmr to the meter on my house went bad. I called out a electrician and he quoted $2,200 to dig (35') and replace it with a 200 amp cable and new 200 amp breaker box and breakers, if this cable is my responsibility do I other options? like maybe I could get the cable and do my own digging and just get the electrician to hook it up, I know everything has to be up to codes. Just checking, never experience this sorta thing.

lw
loosewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2009, 11:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Where I am you are not allowed to install the Service Feed
It requires a licensed electrician

Check with your building Dept

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,654

I would think from the transformer to the meter would be the power companies property. Have you called the power company?
Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2009, 01:22 PM   #4
Electrician

Rewards Points: 75

$2200 sounds like a pretty reasonable price. There are a few factors that need to be considered for a job like this but generally my price would be more in the neighbor hood of $2500.00, and that would not include the trenching. I do not dig and usually leave that to the customer to either dig the trench themselves or hire someone else to dig. If your electrician is going to do the whole job including digging I would jump all over that deal if I were you.

As far as you running the wires and just having the electrician make the connections, I doubt that you will find an electrician willing to take on that kind of liability. I do not hook up wires that I didn't install. There is more to pulling wire than you might think and if it is done improperly the wire can be damaged and fail prematurely. This may not be immediately evident and may take years to become a problem, but if the wire is damaged it will eventually get water in it and there will be issues.

Just my $0.02!
EBFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
Electrician

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
I would think from the transformer to the meter would be the power companies property. Have you called the power company?
In my area:

Overhead service - the power company owns the wire from the transformer to the point of attachment on the house, customer owns from the point of attachment on.

Underground Service - the power company owns the transformer only, the customer owns the wire going down the pole, underground,all the way to the meter and on in to the house.

These rules are all dependent on each individual power company and thus are area dependent so I would definitely recommend checking with the power company. However, if the OP has already contacted an electrician, the electrician will/should know the rules for that particular power company and would be familiar with who owns what as far as the underground wiring goes.
EBFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:24 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 952

My area, the poco owns the overhead to attach to the wires you provide from the meter.
Underground they own the wire all the way to the meter, so it depends on the area you are in.
jbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:52 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Well thanks to everyone for yalls feed back, I just wanted to look and get ideas else where before committing, and I checked about who owns the cable me or the poco, its all on me lol, so thanks again and be careful of loose wires.
loosewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement