Replacing Lighted Medicine Cabinet With Sconces - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2015, 04:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 12
Question

Replacing lighted medicine cabinet with sconces

I am updating a vintage bathroom in a 90yo house. The bathroom was probably remodeled some time in the 1950s. The walls are plaster and lath. I don't know the state of the wiring behind the cabinet because I haven't removed it yet, but I do know with certainty that there is no knob and tube in the house.

My existing recessed medicine cabinet has two fluorescent lights that are incorporated into the unit. There is a toggle switch on one (that controls both lights) and an outlet on the other. I will post a picture once I figure out how to do that. The cabinet will be replaced with a wall mounted cabinet and I intend to add sconces for lighting.

The light switch for the ceiling light does not control the medicine cabinet, so I'm thinking I can add a light switch/outlet combo when I install the lights. I know it will have to be GFCI because it is above the sink.

I have replaced fixtures before but this will be my first time adding a switch and moving wiring. Before I commit to changing the lighting, what kind of potential problems should I consider?
Herself-DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2015, 05:09 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,592

Lighting does not require gfi protection. The receptacle does.

If the wiring is not grounded it should not be extended.
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2015, 05:32 AM   #3

Jim, are you saying that my existing wiring may not be grounded? If so, I suppose I will have to hire an electrician to run new wire back to the panel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2015, 06:51 AM   #4
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,592

I just saw your location . I know the rules are much stricter there.

You probably have metal conduit that acts as your ground.

Metal conduit is not as diy friendly as other methods .
Old 10-24-2015, 06:23 PM   #5

Here is a picture of the medicine cabinet and a close up of the wires, which are located inside the top of the cabinet. Can someone tell me what I'm looking at in there?
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing lighted medicine cabinet with sconces-2015-10-24-18_1445728955735.21.02.jpg   Replacing lighted medicine cabinet with sconces-20151024_145840-1_1445728969049.jpg  
Old 11-18-2015, 05:41 AM   #6

Update:
I called an electrician (actually called several) for a quote after removing the cabinet and discovering that the original wiring is BX. When I pulled the permit for the remodel, I also found that code requires that I add a receptacle above the sink on a dedicated circuit. So, two new boxes and a new wire going back to the panel. Cha-ching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement