Replacing Bathroom Light - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2009, 05:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

replacing bathroom light

I have 1 fixture in my bathroom and want to replace it with 2 fixtures. I don't plan on doing it myself as I don't feel this is something I could do safely. I just want to know if it can be done. before calling an electrician or handyman The home is 13 years old.
Bevgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2009, 05:44 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hello and welcome to the forum!

To answer your question, yes, it can be done. Most of the guys here would consider it a DIY project, but if you are uncomfortable doing it yourself, please DO call a professional.

DM
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2009, 06:49 AM   #3
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,032

Do you have any specific questions to help you learn to do it yourself?

Might be a good idea to educate yourself on how to do it...then watch as an electrician does it. Might make you more comfortable tackling something like this next time!

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2009, 09:09 PM   #4

Diy

My son is comfortable with the electrical stuff. I am more a construction gal. I can patch walls, install toe kick, hang doors etc. Any simple instructions for my son so we could do this without getting an electrician? Of course I do need some heavy jobs done by someone with construction experience so maybe a Joe do it all type of guy could help me. I am just having trouble trusting people due to the horrible job a contractor did replacing shingles on the roof and hanging the drywall on the garage celing. Wish I had done thse myself but didn't want to do the heavy work of drywall on a celing. I am getting a bit older and am not as strong as I once was--LOL. I am not uncomfortable with electrical work just don't have the knowledge. Maybe I should get a DIY book and educate myself. As soon as we complete get our renovation done and sell the house we will be purchasing a "project" to be our retirement home. I have managed to teach myself a lot of skills during this renovation and I have really enjoyed seeing a project to completion that I did with my own hands. My dad was a contractor before he died and taught me a lot also. I think he would be proud of his daughter.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:42 PM   #5
Just call me Andrew

So you have 1 fixture controlled with a wall switch?

Is the fixture on the wall or ceiling? Where do you want the two fixtures to be once you are finished?

Old 01-02-2010, 05:36 AM   #6

yes it is controlled by a wall switch and is on the wall. It is in the center of my vanity wall and I want the 2 new lights to be on either side. 1 over each sink so about 18-24 inches from where the old fixture wiring comes out from the wall (not sure of exact measurements until I get my sinks installed)
Old 01-02-2010, 05:44 AM   #7
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevgo View Post
yes it is controlled by a wall switch and is on the wall. It is in the center of my vanity wall and I want the 2 new lights to be on either side. 1 over each sink so about 18-24 inches from where the old fixture wiring comes out from the wall (not sure of exact measurements until I get my sinks installed)
Well, you will need the measurements before you do this/have it done, so the lights are in the correct locations.

The one concern I see would be if the existing wiring is too short to reach one of the 2 new locations.
"The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten"
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:15 AM   #8
Just call me Andrew

Most likely, what you'll want to do is run new wires from the switch to each of the new lights. It would make things easier to explain if you knew what wires you have in the switch box. If you have two wires only, it's a little more difficult. Easier if you have 4 wires: 2 connected to the switch (probably black) and two other wires behind the switch in a wire nut (white).

Is it possible for you to take a look in the switch box? Make sure you TURN THE BREAKER OFF before messing with anything behind the cover plate. The screws on the side of the switch are live as are any bare portions of wires in the box.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:11 PM   #9

This sounds like a job for someone that knows what they are doing. But I will watch and learn. My son said he did not feel competant to do it so I will get a pro. I can do a lot but electrical is not my game. Thanks for all the suggestions and information.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #10
Just call me Andrew

No problem. Hopefully you can learn from the electrician and maybe do the next project yourself...if not, sounds like you have plenty of other (non-electrical) projects you can tackle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement