Replacing Bathroom Ceiling Heater... - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2010, 06:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

replacing bathroom ceiling heater...

I have three ceiling units in both bathrooms; a seperate unit for fan, one for light, and one for heat all with seperate switches/controls. These were installed in 1970's and are now quitting. Should I replace each separately as they expire or buy a combination unit such as a light and heater together, or light, heater, fan, etc. I would then have to redo the ceiling when units are taken down. How do I judge a heater or unit that is a 4" duct, etc. Broan, Natulius, and other makers offer some based on duct size. Right now, I have heater problems in both which is controlled by a thermostat. Thanks very much for help.
DIYDI100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,660

Most of the combo heat/vent/light units require their own circuit. You could replace the separate unit IF the circuit was only for those units or you would need to run a new circuit. With 2 bathrooms you would need two circuits.
Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2010, 08:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYDI100 View Post
I have three ceiling units in both bathrooms; a seperate unit for fan, one for light, and one for heat all with seperate switches/controls. These were installed in 1970's and are now quitting. Should I replace each separately as they expire or buy a combination unit such as a light and heater together, or light, heater, fan, etc. I would then have to redo the ceiling when units are taken down. How do I judge a heater or unit that is a 4" duct, etc. Broan, Natulius, and other makers offer some based on duct size. Right now, I have heater problems in both which is controlled by a thermostat. Thanks very much for help.
The advice from here is to replace the present, separate units with a combination unit for each bathroom. I had very good experience with a combo unit and a combination (triple) switch. Meanwhile, some of the problems you are having with the heat could be traced to the thermostat, which, in the very short run, could be replaced.!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement