Replacing 3 Way Dimmer With 3 Way Rocker - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
Do work

Rewards Points: 81

replacing 3 way dimmer with 3 way rocker

First thank you to this forum. Lots of good information here.

My question is this. I have a 3 way switch setup. One of the switches is a rocker. The other is a dimmer. I would like to replace the dimmer with a rocker. So my question is this. How do I identify which wire is the common and does it matter which terminal the traveller wires go to?

Thank you.
liquidvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2010, 01:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I would expect both switches (old and new) to be marked which connections are common and which are travelers. Make notes which house wires are connected to which, and duplicate on new switch.

It DOES matter which terminal that the common is attached to. I do not belive it matters which of the two terminals that the two travelers are connected to.

Using your favorite search engine, search on three way switch. It will show the many variations of wiring diagrams, based on where power is supplied. An understanding of three-way switch wiring will better ensure you do things correctly.

Note, also, colors of wires. If you use a white wire as a traveler, put some black tape on it to indicate it is not a neutral. Green, or bare, goes to ground.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,160

If the present dimmer has two reds and one black, the black is the common.
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
Do work

Thanks for the quick replies. I did a search and came up with this site.

http://www.homeimprovementweb.com/in...way-switch.htm

Looks like there are 8 possible ways to wire a 3 way. wow, didn't realize that it was that complex. Not sure at this point which one I have, but I'll take it apart again and have a look. From what I can tell, all 8 options all a few things in common. One common always connects to the hot coming from the breaker. The other common goes to the black on the light.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:45 PM   #5
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,032

The current wiring of the 3-way setup should not matter. Does the dimmer you want to replace have only 3 wires (common and two travelers?) Just look on the current switch for the "common" markings and replicate this with the new switch.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
Do work

Yes. There are 3 wires coming off of the dimmer all of which are black and not labeled. I don't remember off the top of my head what colors the house wiring that connect to these 3 black wire are.

It would be easy if the house wiring just connected to terminals on the switch but that isnt the case. It looks like this dimmer but with 3 black and ground. So that is why I'm confused as to which one is the common.

http://www.homedepot.com/hdus/en_US/...step_3optb.jpg
Old 01-05-2010, 02:24 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 23,976

You will need three tries to get right then. The traveler wires sont' care which one is which. Try one of the wires on the common of the switch. If it doesn operate properly from both ends then try a different one. If it still doesn't work then try the last one. If it worked before then it has to work with one of the three setups.

I can't believe the dimmer is not marked. Usually one of the wires is different from the other two to indicate the common connection.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #8
Do work

I would like to thank everyone for their help. Here's how things went down. I removed the switch from the box but did not disconnect it. Then I looked at the 3 wires. I used cheap tester to test for power. I noticed that I had power on 2 of the 3 wires. I then flick the switch and tested again. I then flicked the remote switch and tested again. What I noticed is that the power moved back and forth between 2 of the wires, but it never moved on the 1 wire. The one that power never moved I connected to the common on the new switch. The other 2 wires went to my travelers. The new switch works great.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #9
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,160

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidvw View Post
........ The new switch works great.
Congratulations on your logic to find the Common.

And thanks for posting the results.

PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement