Replace Pullchain Controlled Fan - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Replace pullchain controlled fan

Replace pullchain controlled fan-img_20110907_175103.jpg

Above is a problem I'm currently trying to solve.

There was a fan with light here. I'm sure the fan's light was on a 3-way switch since there are two switches in this room that controlled the light. The fan itself (like all the rest in the house) was controlled by pullstring only. I'd like to put another fan here from a big box store (with no light on the replacement... going with recessed later). I believe the black/white striped wire (longer one in picture without the cap on it) is the one that provided power to the fan since even when I kill the breaker, my voltage tester still says it's getting power.

How can I tackle this? Any suggestions? Should I get the fan I want first and then post more pictures when I get it? I'm not afraid to hang a light fixture... I've hung quite a few, but I'm nervous with this one since the fans always have power no matter what I do... part of me thinks they must just be given power from the main feed in the breaker panel?

ALSO: Yes, I will be putting in an up-to-code box for the new fan. I just wanted to figure out the wiring problem before I got to that point.

Thanks for your help,
Nate
natedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,078

The black/white combo (stripped wires) are always live (for fan). The black (capped) and white combo are switch controlled (for light). You will need to find the correct breaker for the live wires and label it.

Why not install a box and wire same way with a light kit? Otherwise switches will do nothing or need to be removed. Can't have too much lighting. Alternately, you can have fan on switch instead of light and cap live wire on box.
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to diyorpay For This Useful Post:
natedro (09-16-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2011, 01:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyorpay View Post
The black/white combo (stripped wires) are always live (for fan). The black (capped) and white combo are switch controlled (for light). You will need to find the correct breaker for the live wires and label it.

Why not install a box and wire same way with a light kit? Otherwise switches will do nothing or need to be removed. Can't have too much lighting. Alternately, you can have fan on switch instead of light and cap live wire on box.
I think I'm going to go ahead and cap the striped wire and then use the fan on the hot (solid black) and neutral (white). Will this work?

Also, I can just cap the striped wire at the fixture right? I shouldn't need to worry about the switch connections?

When I go to run my recessed lights at a later date, I will add a switch for the new recessed lights (maybe with dimmer) and then another for outdoor lights which have the switch currently in the master bedroom (odd).

Thank you kindly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 18,406

Just so it's clear.....there is NO box up there? They have the wires running in the attic and straight out that hole? Fan fan bracket was screwed into the joist?

Seeing how all wire connections must be in a box....I think it would be a stretch to say that the cap of the fan shaft could be called a box....

edit....not ragging on you....your wanting to do it right by installing a box.....I just can't believe someone would do that....was it done by the builder or the last homeowner?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Just so it's clear.....there is NO box up there? They have the wires running in the attic and straight out that hole? Fan fan bracket was screwed into the joist?

Seeing how all wire connections must be in a box....I think it would be a stretch to say that the cap of the fan shaft could be called a box....

edit....not ragging on you....your wanting to do it right by installing a box.....I just can't believe someone would do that....was it done by the builder or the last homeowner?
Well, I'm not sure who it was done by to be honest. I've only been here since April, but the house was built around 1959 - the fans had obviously been changed since they weren't that old, but who knows who did it.

All of the fans in the house are/were hung like this - they just have a huge loop screw going into the joist which the fan would hang on via hook. There is likely (haven't checked this exact spot for certainty) a junction box above the room connecting the wires from the 2 switches above this as in the other rooms I've worked on. At least in the attic there are no wire connections without a jb around them.

It should be a nice little adventure when I go to put the fan box in. I haven't had to do that yet either. I have learned so much with this damned house with all of its problems. How I am still in love with it I don't know!
Old 09-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 18,406

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedro View Post
Well, I'm not sure who it was done by to be honest. I've only been here since April, but the house was built around 1959 - the fans had obviously been changed since they weren't that old, but who knows who did it.

All of the fans in the house are/were hung like this - they just have a huge loop screw going into the joist which the fan would hang on via hook. There is likely (haven't checked this exact spot for certainty) a junction box above the room connecting the wires from the 2 switches above this as in the other rooms I've worked on. At least in the attic there are no wire connections without a jb around them.

It should be a nice little adventure when I go to put the fan box in. I haven't had to do that yet either. I have learned so much with this damned house with all of its problems. How I am still in love with it I don't know!
The mantra of a true DIY'er.....it's ok.....your normal....we all have the same problem....gift....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (09-19-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #7

Update:

On a different ceiling fan (same situation, same wiring), I finally found the correct breaker and was able to cap the striped wire and install a fancy new light fixture in the dining room. Feeling all good inside.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:54 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 6,652

How in the world did they keep it from falling off of the ceiling and killing someone?

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement