Replace Fan Light With Non Fan-Light? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2010, 03:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replace Fan Light with Non Fan-Light?

How do I properly wire up this light I purchase? There was a basic generic white fan light previously hooked up before this. Now, I have just a fan-less light installed but not sure how to hook this up. Please explain.

Here's the picture of all the wires in the wall, see attached.

2 Reds
2 Blacks
2 Whites
2 Grounds

I want to install a dimmer light switch and then a regular decorative switch as well. Its obviously double switch (or whatever the terminology is) in the wall panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Replace Fan Light with Non Fan-Light?-imag0063.jpg  
Chadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,662

Why would you want to install both a dimmer and a toggle switch to control the same fixture from one location?
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 04:29 PM   #3

I might be wrong, but I believe the second switch is for one of the outlets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #4

Would appreciate help on this please.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:56 AM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Did you make a note how it hook up before you took the switches apart ??

Normally with relivte new homes in the ceiling juction box { as long they are fan rated } you should have Black , Red , White and of course bare conductor.

If so then it will be much easier to hook up the black for the fan while the red is used for the light { if the ceiling fan have seperated wire for the light typcially either Bleu or black with white stripe as long it tagged for light }

Most of the new home I work on normaly I will install two gang box simauir to your set up so you have one switch for fan while second switch is for light which it is common { few will request single gang or have to use single gang due the construction of the wall will affect it }

Let us know what you have at the ceiling luminaire location to verify it first before we go on more further and by the way three way switches there ??

The reason why I see due little non standard set up due the white conductors there used on the switch.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:33 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Would appreciate help on this please.
I have found everyone to be quite helpful when there is enough information to go on. I am afraid that is not the case here. It would also help if you answer some of the questions posted already.

Did you have only a single fan/light combo before, or did the switch control more than one fixture? In your original setup, did you have separate switches for light and for fan? In your original setup, did you have more than one switch controlling the fan or light? Do you have the ability to measure voltages?
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement