Refrigerator Switches Off At Fuse Box When It Reaches Thermostat Setting - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2010, 10:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

refrigerator switches off at fuse box when it reaches thermostat setting

every time my Westinghouse rj442 reaches the thermostat set temp it automatically switches the safety off in the fuse box how can i repair this as my mortgage doesn't allow me to afford a newy for a while?
Tim Peakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2010, 11:07 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 24,004

Is it a GFCI that is trippping or is the breaker tripping on fault? If it is a GFCI then you can change to a regular breaker. If it is tripping the breaker then you need a new fridge or the fridge serviced.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

If the breaker or GFCI is tripping, how do you know the refrigerator reached the thermostat set point?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2010, 12:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

why then

my question was not based on a total synopsis about what i obviously had done before hand to narrow my problem down so perhaps my question could be answered without out going over things i had already discovered in short i was hoping i would find something i didn't now something i could use you no connect the dots a little humility never hurt anyone
Tim Peakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:03 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Peakn View Post
every time my Westinghouse rj442 reaches the thermostat set temp it automatically switches the safety off in the fuse box ...
Is the safety a GFCI breaker or just a regular breaker. If it is a GFCI breaker, try plugging the refrigerator into a receptacle on a different circuit, one fed by a regular breaker (use a heavy duty extension cord if needed).

There could be a defect in the 'fridge that causes a GFCI in the power circuit to trip but the 'fridge itself still works okay for now. Considerable troubleshooting would be needed to find the defect including knowing how to use the schematic diagram (hopefully) pasted on the back of the 'fridge.

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-31-2010 at 01:08 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:27 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,070

Remove GFCI and install regular receptacle see what happens, if the breaker opens post back. Post back anyway.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement