DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   Recommendation for a Panel Change (

icepal1999 08-12-2013 11:52 AM

Recommendation for a Panel Change
I am thinking about changing my panel. I have 150 amp panel with about 20 slots.
All are full and alot are "twins". I would like to get a bigger panel with about 40 slots so I can add more down the road and clean up the twins.

Here is my problem. My feeders are Aluminum. They were copper but the local utility moved my service from one side of the house to the other. (It traveled over a future pool), so they moved it free of charge and put in Aluminum from the meter to the panel.

150 Amps are fine and no need to upgrade to 200.

Can you recommend any panels that would take Aluminum feeders. I will be shopping at the big box stores.

Also will I need the AL/CU grease as well?...I forget what it is called.

Thank you all. Have a great day!

kbsparky 08-12-2013 12:16 PM

Most any panel available these days are rated for either copper or aluminum conductors.

The "grease" you are referring to is commonly called "noalox" or "De-Ox"

icepal1999 08-12-2013 01:22 PM

Thanks KB.

Any personal recommendations - GE, Murray, etc?

Do I need to put "noalox" on the Aluminum conductors before putting them in the main breaker and tightening them?

kbsparky 08-12-2013 01:35 PM

I prefer Square D type QO panels.

More expensive, but worth the difference for me, at least.

Inhibitor compound is not required to be used on the mains.

Philly Master 08-12-2013 01:43 PM

Seimans PL series ...copper bus and plenty of neutral connection spaces...

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.