Receptacles Too Low! - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Receptacles too low!

Hello,
I need some advice on what my options are...I just had my 2nd floor Bathroom remodeled and the contractor put in 2 receptacles for "above" the vanity. Everything is drywalled and I just put the 3rd coat of paint on the walls when I realized that the 2 receptacles look a little low. They are 37" inches to the center of the receptacle from the finished floor and standard rough-in sites are saying they should be 42" So now what are my best options...a vanity and counter top with no backsplash? Cut into the newly finished AND painted drywall and raise the electrical boxes, as long as there is enough wire to play with? Call back the contractor and make him move the boxes? He hasn't been paid yet
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Did you state how far off the floor to install the boxes ?
Did he knwo what you were installing ?
There isn't any code that as far as how high to install them

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2010, 08:52 PM   #3

He knew that there was going to be a vanity with a counter top (which almost always comes with a back splash). I am looking at my other bathrooms and they are about 42" to the center of the box which is about 5" higher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2010, 09:36 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

a backsplash is not a given. I have seen both. If the dimension was not specified or there was not a backsplash specified in the cabinet drawings, you can't expect the electrician to read minds.

Quote:
So now what are my best options...a vanity and counter top with no backsplash?
It sounds like you didn't have anything spec'd for the electrician to deal with. As it stands, the height he placed them at would be fine for a counter with no splash.

Quote:
He knew that there was going to be a vanity with a counter top (which almost always comes with a back splash)
If somebody told me a vanity with a countertop and did NOT specifically mention a backsplash, I would take it that there was no backsplash. I see this as simple miscommunication between the two of you.

Personally, if it were me, I would have asked but some folks won't and will go on what they were told or what the drawings show.

If you speak, as opposed to complain and gripe, with the electrician, you might get him to do it for nothing or a small charge.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:43 PM   #5

I just thought that there was a standard rough-in measurement for receptacles above a vanity. My bad for assuming. Would it have been any different if I didn't specify a backsplash and he put the receptacles 18" off the floor? C'mon, some of this should be left to the "professional". Electricians should have a universal rough-in measurement for vanities and receptacle around them.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:48 PM   #6

Vanities are different heights
And a back splash or lack of one will also change the height
So there can't be a uniform rough-in height
Its to be specified depending upon the installation

Myself as Nap stated I would have asked before I installed outlets

Old 06-27-2010, 09:50 PM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
Electricians should have a universal rough-in measurement for vanities and receptacle around them.
there are very few dimensions spec'd by code for installation of receps. Even something such as light switches vary from electrician to electrician. anything from 42 to 48 AFF (above finished floor) but even with that, there is typically no consensus as to the dimension being to the bottom, center, or top of the box.

Receps? they can go just about anywhere. I have had people spec them at 36" AFF. Dang, many electricians simply use their hammer handle for a dimension and obviously not all hammer handles are the same length.

and if you spec'd a counter and the guy put the box at 18" AFF, I would find a different electrician. That would be an obviously incorrect installation.

and to a standard for a vanity: what is a standard vanity? Common is about 29" plus the counter. Backsplash is extra BUT they do make kitchen counter height bath vanities as well for people that do not like a short counter. Without spec's or a drawing, it is a lot of guessing. That is why I prefer commercial because all of the dimensions are typically spec'd. Residential often isn't.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:10 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 85

I think that in the case of a homeowner having a bathroom remodeled, they may not know to think of all these things. That's why they're hiring it out. I may be a jerk for saying this, but I think a pro should know to ask the question rather than to assume.
Old College Try is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:24 PM   #9
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,006

Quote:
Electricians should have a universal rough-in measurement for vanities and receptacle around them.
Seriously? Come on now.
This is just your wishful thinking and that would get you off the hook for not noticing until THIS far along in the job.

NO, there are NO "universal" measurements. Who ever said they should be 42" was just stating their opinion.

I will say if this was a full gut and remodel he should have done a walk-through with you to determine things like this. But it is just as much your responsibility to make sure things are just as you wish before it is too late.

If it were me there is no way in hell I'd move them for free at this point in the job unless it was specifically and undeniably my mistake.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:29 PM   #10

Well I may be a jerk for saying this but this is why I am on the DIY forum and not the professional Electrician forum. All I know is that I have a lot of remodeling under my belt in my 45 years of life and I know that in Western PA, they have exact heights and widths of every counter top, vanity, kitchen cabinet and appliance. It is down to a science. Receptacles are a certain height off the floor, light switches are a certain height off the floor, RECEPTACLES are a certain height above a vanity (Which are all standard heights unless you are a hobbit that lives in the movie "Lord of the Rings" where they are 3 feet tall) That being said, I am not arguing over whether or not I should have specified to the professional that I wanted a vanity with a backsplash, what I am asking is what should I do now? The walls are all finished and painted, the receptacles are too low for a backsplash and possibly too low for the counter top.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:32 PM   #11

What do you want to do ?

Options:
Install vanity & sink without backsplash

Call electrician

I have actually gone with the higher then normal vanities & will do the same with the kitchen cabinets
I find it hard to believe that everyone in the entire state uses the same height vanities/cabinets

Old 06-27-2010, 10:42 PM   #12
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
some of this should be left to the "professional". Electricians should have a universal rough-in measurement for vanities and receptacle around them.
I will make it clear what Nap and SpeedyPete and Dave mention here very clear .,,

The most common error is lack of planning or commuation between the owner and contractor.

For the bathroom receptale hight really there is no standard at all it will varies a bit depending on the set up but normally I set at 105 CM { about 42 inches } AFF level unless the owner speced something diffrent then I will change the height of the receptales et switches.

To move it after the drywall is up there will be a change order on it and it will depending on which way the cable or conduit run some will be easy to move it and some will be impossible to move it unless you cut the drywall open and redo the receptale.

{ a side note if that was mine situation before the drywall or paint go on it will be good time to deal with it but once the paint go on it will be kinda pain in ase to get it correct }

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:46 PM   #13
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
I find it hard to believe that everyone in the entire state uses the same height vanities/cabinets

That about sum up just perfect answer there is no cabinets and vanities are standarized in height at all especally with specal needs like handicapped peoples or drawf peoples that will change the whole game of set up.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:06 PM   #14
Union Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Unless you provided the electrician with dimensioned drawings of the vanity, you are on the hook. Sorry.
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:25 PM   #15
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,020

Quote:
I just thought that there was a standard rough-in measurement for receptacles above a vanity. My bad for assuming. Would it have been any different if I didn't specify a backsplash and he put the receptacles 18" off the floor? C'mon, some of this should be left to the "professional". Electricians should have a universal rough-in measurement for vanities and receptacle around them.
did you walk through be fore the room was drywalled? holding up a guys money because you didnt catch this on the rough in isnt cool!normally i rough in switch boxes at 48" to the top and general purpose plugs in rooms at 15" to bottem of box from the floor,plugs on vanitys and countertops very depending on what homeowner wants
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement