Re Routing The Dryer Supply - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2010, 09:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 91

Re routing the dryer supply

I need some help, please. I am moving my washer/dryer and need some advice. It is a stacked washer/dryer combo running on 220 volts. I have two choices: I can go through a cinder block wall to the outside, run it about 15 feet and come back through the cinder block to new location or I can go into the attic and pull the existing wire (which is currently run in the attic) to new location and drop down from attic. The attic route will be tough. it is a very low pitch roof with very tight access and the room into which the dryer is going is added on therefore I dont think the old attic communicates with the new roof (no attic in new room added on).

Is it OK to go through cinder block? I thought I would run a length of pvc conduit through the cinderblock and than run the wire either along the base of building or bury it in conduit along base of building (a cleaner look).

Any advice on this? Do I mount boxes on either side of the wall or just attach some type of threaded fitting to the pvc conduit and make 90 degree turn into the ground? Also just curious, why should I use the gray pvc as opposed to white? they are both pvc but guy at home depot says go gray??

Thank you
drjay9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,662

The first question that needs to be answered is how many conductors are in the existing cable. If you only have 3 conductors the circuit would need to be repulled and a new 4 conductor cable run.

If you decided to go outside with the cable and the existing run was with NM cable you would need to transition to a conduit with THWN conductors. NM type cable cannot be used outside, even in conduit.

White PVC pipe is not listed for use as electrical conduit. White PVC is for use with water.
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2010, 09:48 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
The first question that needs to be answered is how many conductors are in the existing cable. If you only have 3 conductors the circuit would need to be repulled and a new 4 conductor cable run.

If you decided to go outside with the cable and the existing run was with NM cable you would need to transition to a conduit with THWN conductors. NM type cable cannot be used outside, even in conduit.

White PVC pipe is not listed for use as electrical conduit. White PVC is for use with water.
Thanks for the help. Why do I need to change to 4 conductor is it is currently three? It woks so can't I just extend the wiring to new location? Is this a code issue?
drjay9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Just to clarify, they do make white PVC for electrical use and Home Depot does carry it. Just make sure it's Electrical Non-Metallic Tubing.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjay9051 View Post
Thanks for the help. Why do I need to change to 4 conductor is it is currently three? It woks so can't I just extend the wiring to new location? Is this a code issue?
You are currently grandfathered into your old installation. If you change it, you will need to comply with current code which requires a separate ground and neutral.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #6
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,032

Quote:
Not just a code issue - also a safety issue.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 3,622

Quote:
Any advice on this? Do I mount boxes on either side of the wall or just attach some type of threaded fitting to the pvc conduit and make 90 degree turn into the ground? Also just curious, why should I use the gray pvc as opposed to white? they are both pvc but guy at home depot says go gray??
I would strongly recommend metal conduit (EMT) instead of PVC. PVC conduit tends to degrade in the sun, and gets ugly. Steel conduit doesn't have this problem. It's also more durable, and you can use it as the grounding conductor instead of running a separate wire, if you want to. There's no need for boxes on the outside of the wall, just use an LB flush against the surface of the block and you'll be fine. As another poster said, you need to rewire the circuit with a separate neutral conductor rather than extending the 3-wire setup, both for safety and code compliance.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:48 PM   #8
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
I would strongly recommend metal conduit (EMT) instead of PVC. PVC conduit tends to degrade in the sun, and gets ugly. Steel conduit doesn't have this problem. It's also more durable, and you can use it as the grounding conductor instead of running a separate wire, if you want to. There's no need for boxes on the outside of the wall, just use an LB flush against the surface of the block and you'll be fine. As another poster said, you need to rewire the circuit with a separate neutral conductor rather than extending the 3-wire setup, both for safety and code compliance.
It depending on where the OP lives some area the EMT will just work fine but some area no it will not work due it will rusted up fast all it depending on the location of OP is at.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement