Questions About Linesman Schools. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2010, 11:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Cool

Questions about Linesman Schools.

I am a registered wireman here in Colorado. I'm currently looking for lineman schools to attend. I have wanted to be a linesman for about 6 years now and am now ready to apply for one. To my understanding, there are two different types of schools.

One, is where the school has an actual training facility on site and the apprentice has the school and the facility right there. After graduating the apprentice has to find a company.

The other school automatically puts the student in with a local union contractor to begin his learning "in the field" and earnes a wage through a 7 step process. While during the academic school year, the student attends class 15 times during the year.

Ok, so I have no idea which school is better. Does anyone have knowledge of any of this and if so, could you please fill me in on the pro's and con's of each type of school. It would really help me to decide which one to choose.

Thank you!
phase out 112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase out 112 View Post
To my understanding, there are two different types of schools.

Ok, so I have no idea which school is better.
FWIW, search the school name and the word

accreditation
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
Idiot Emeritus

Rewards Points: 80

Linemen are a bit different than inside wiremen. There's a chamraderie among them that just isn't there with inside wiremen. It's a very cliquish group, but once you're in, you've got lifelong friends. And you get to work with them every day!

Journeyman linemen are extremely hard on apprentices. Part of this is to allow you to prove yourself to them. Since a linemans life often depends on the other guys on the crew......

I'm not too sure that your average lineman will be any too keen on the idea of a school-trained person. Even if you got on the crew as a journeyman, you'd still have to prove your worth.

Most apprentice linemen start out in the shop of a local utility. You learn about transformers, fuses, cut-outs, and other stuff there. A lot of pre-fabricating stuff to be taken out to the field. Then, when the need arises, if they think you can handle it, they'll put you on a crew. If you start out in the shop, the union isn't much of a problem; they'll get you in.

If you can get accepted into the local linemens union, you're likely a step ahead. This can be pretty hard unless you have some sort of connection though.

It's a rewarding career, if you can handle the physical work.

Rob
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 07:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

You might want to check over at our other - Pro site
Someone there may be able to point you in the right direction

http://www.contractortalk.com/

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:28 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 308

Go to www.electriciantalk.com and find the lineman's section. I would recommend you register so you can ask questions and participate like you can here. It is a professional site.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement