Quality Of Outlets At HD - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2015, 01:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 198

Quality of outlets at HD

Is their a brand that I should stay away from in order to get a quality outlet for my electric outlets? I see brands that I don't recognize on the web but I am not an electrician.

Also are there differences in quality in the best brand you recommend and how do you recognize those differences? TIA for you patience and answers.

Last edited by srloren; 10-17-2015 at 01:48 PM.
srloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2015, 01:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,794

I use them all the time in the big contractor packs and never had one fail.
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2015, 01:58 PM   #3
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 5,316

Leviton, Pass & Seymour, Cooper, Hubbel
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2015, 02:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 402

Apparently, the "backstab" type are horrible. You want the kind where there are terminal screws for the wires or pigtails. Just repeating what all the electricians say on the sister forum to this site, they think the backstab is quite dangerous and should be illegal, and there's a lot of grousing that banning them would prevent a lot more fires than AFCIs.
Habeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:06 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,428

All the manufacturers have decent wiring devices. What you should be looking at is the grade. Residential grade devices are the ones that are around 50 and have the back wire holes. Commercial grade devices are more than a dollar but they have screw clamps, where you slip the stripped wire underneath the clamp and screw the screw down to clamp the wire. Commercial grade devices are overall a better quality than Residential.

Then there's Industrial Grade and Hospital grade... yada yada yada... I think the commercial grade is plenty good enough.
Hospital grade is the highest grade, btw.
poiihy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiihy View Post
All the manufacturers have decent wiring devices. What you should be looking at is the grade. Residential grade devices are the ones that are around 50 and have the back wire holes. Commercial grade devices are more than a dollar but they have screw clamps, where you slip the stripped wire underneath the clamp and screw the screw down to clamp the wire. Commercial grade devices are overall a better quality than Residential.

Then there's Industrial Grade and Hospital grade... yada yada yada... I think the commercial grade is plenty good enough.
Hospital grade is the highest grade, btw.
Thanks for your info...just what I needed.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:44 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,428

Also, to make things simpler, Leviton has a "Preferred" grade of products and a "Standard" grade of products. So if you want good quality devices when you are shopping at Home Depot, look for Leviton devices that have "Preferred" in a red bar on top of the package.

Last edited by poiihy; 10-19-2015 at 05:50 PM.
poiihy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiihy View Post
Also, to make things simpler, Leviton has a "Preferred" grade of products and a "Standard" grade of products. So if you want good quality devices when you are shopping at Home Depot, look for Leviton devices that have "Preferred" in a red bar on top of the package.
Good info here...thanks again.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:33 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,956

I've noticed two qualities at the home center, perhaps they are 'preferred and standard' or 'residential or commercial' as other posters suggest. When you are there, get a plug and plug in and out of one a dozen times or so and I think you will see the difference in how the good one grips the plug. The difference may be in the quality of the spring brass used inside the outlet. The cheap ones don't have a good feel.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement