Putting A Female Plug On BX Cable In Mew York - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By jbfan
  • 1 Post By joed
  • 1 Post By Wiredindallas
  • 1 Post By mpoulton
  • 1 Post By FrodoOne

Old 03-13-2019, 01:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

I'm wiring up blinds using 120v, and live in New York City. According to code,
can I run BX cable through the wall and have it pop out of the window frame and terminate in a female plug? The alternative is to join the cables in a little (3.75 x 1.5 x 1.5) handy box, which I'm not excited about having on the window frame.

Last edited by Jrkeat; 03-13-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Jrkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2019, 03:33 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 624

Re: Putting a female plug on BX cable in Mew York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrkeat View Post
I'm wiring up blinds using 120v, and live in New York City. According to code,
can I run BX cable through the wall and have it pop out of the window frame and terminate in a female plug? The alternative is to join the cables in a little (3.75 x 1.5 x 1.5) handy box, which I'm not excited about having on the window frame.
You can not put a plug body onto BX cable in New York or anywhere else.
The cable is not made for that.
Msradell likes this.
jbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2019, 04:23 PM   #3

The Philmore 8515J is designed for MC cable. (I mistakenly thought it was also for BX.) Is using it against code?

Using that on BX is against code.

Last edited by joed; 03-13-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2019, 04:55 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 23,072

Where do see that rated for MC cable? I don't see that in any specs that google finds.
It's says it is an armored connector but does not say rated for armored cable.
mpoulton likes this.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:09 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,696

Quote:
Where do see that rated for MC cable?
https://vetco.net/products/armored-c...lug-nema-5-15r
Old 03-13-2019, 06:11 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 58

That plug link certainly says it is for MC, but my issue would be in the lack of flexibility of solid wire fitting onto the terminals. Could you put a in-wall receptacle in the window? I have seen small boxes and plugs made to go into storefront aluminum framing. Someone else can say what box that is I am sure.
mpoulton likes this.
Wiredindallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:38 PM   #7
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 3,602

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
That one page is the only location on the whole internet that I can find any reference to that part being used with MC or AC cable. The manufacturer's catalog (which is the only "data sheet" that seems to exist for that part) does not say anything about those cables, and neither do other distributors' websites. I think Vetco's site content writer got confused about the receptacle's description saying "armored" and just assumed it was referring to the cable type. It has a rubber bushing in the cable clamp, which would not be helpful or appropriate for use with MC or AC which needs the sheath to be grounded and relies on metal connectors directly grabbing the armor to do it.

I can't think of any circumstance where it would be code compliant to attach a receptacle directly to the end of an MC or AC cable. There's just no code-compliant use for that. It's been done many times by many people, but not with any kind of official approval!

I can't vouch for the quality level since I've never used this specific one, but here's an example of a solution that might be better: https://www.amazon.com/Sillites-Self...12616654&psc=1
jbfan likes this.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:48 PM   #8
Collector of tools

Rewards Points: 120

This doesnt answer your question but I have battery operated blinds that work well. It's another option.
schreibdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
That one page is the only location on the whole internet that I can find any reference to that part being used with MC or AC cable. The manufacturer's catalog (which is the only "data sheet" that seems to exist for that part) does not say anything about those cables, and neither do other distributors' websites. I think Vetco's site content writer got confused about the receptacle's description saying "armored" and just assumed it was referring to the cable type. It has a rubber bushing in the cable clamp, which would not be helpful or appropriate for use with MC or AC which needs the sheath to be grounded and relies on metal connectors directly grabbing the armor to do it.

I can't think of any circumstance where it would be code compliant to attach a receptacle directly to the end of an MC or AC cable. There's just no code-compliant use for that. It's been done many times by many people, but not with any kind of official approval!

I can't vouch for the quality level since I've never used this specific one, but here's an example of a solution that might be better: https://www.amazon.com/Sillites-Self...12616654&psc=1
The self- contained plug looks great! Do you know if it's code compliant in NYC, where Romex is considered too weak?
Old 03-14-2019, 07:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreibdave View Post
This doesnt answer your question but I have battery operated blinds that work well. It's another option.
I'm considering that, but I'm worried about battery life. I'm imagining batteries will start failing in 5 or 10 years, though they haven't told me what kind of batteries the use. They are not user serviceable in mine (Shade Store).

If someone can tell me the life expectancy is longer than that, I'd be happy. Installing 12v wires would be so much easier!
Old 03-14-2019, 10:38 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,388

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
Be that as it may.

I do wonder that anyone (and advertisers) could consider that a "Female" type connection device could be considered a being a "Plug" when it is clearly a "Socket".

I do realise that my remarks could be considered as being "inappropriate" on several levels and I apologize in advance if anyone is offended.

However, most persons do know how temporary electrical connections are constructed and the analogy with certain temporary male/female connections seems to be quite valid.
mpoulton likes this.
FrodoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:00 PM   #12
Collector of tools

Rewards Points: 120

Quote:
I'm considering that, but I'm worried about battery life. I'm imagining batteries will start failing in 5 or 10 years, though they haven't told me what kind of batteries the use. They are not user serviceable in mine (Shade Store).

If someone can tell me the life expectancy is longer than that, I'd be happy. Installing 12v wires would be so much easier!
We have battery operated shades covering most of our windows. Our typical window is 6ft x 5ft. The motor is powered by 6-8 AA batteries. I just changed them after about 2 years of use. The wave a wand that hangs down with an up button and a down button.

Dont know if that works for your application but it sounds a lot easier that running cable.
schreibdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
Unfortunately that's for Romex only, which isn't allowed in New York.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:46 PM   #14
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOne View Post
Be that as it may.

I do wonder that anyone (and advertisers) could consider that a "Female" type connection device could be considered a being a "Plug" when it is clearly a "Socket".
I missed that. Yeah, I wouldn't trust any of the info on that site if they can't even keep the difference between plugs and receptacles straight. There's no way that thing is intended for use with MC/AC.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:48 PM   #15
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Quote:
The self- contained plug looks great! Do you know if it's code compliant in NYC, where Romex is considered too weak?
No idea - but I'm sure NYC doesn't approve of receptacles dangling from the ends of MC cables either.
Advertisement