Proper Way To Splice Simple Standed Wire - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2010, 07:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

proper way to splice simple standed wire

hi guys new to the site, just a newbie, amateur DIY guy.... I was wondering how do you pros properly splice simple stranded wire before you put a wire nut on. do you guys use your hands to twist it together and then put your linesmans on it for the last twist .... or do you guys use linesmans for the all the twists? seems like using linesmans for all twists is a pain as the wires fray out to much

thanks
SPEED3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2010, 08:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,800

I don't twist stranded wire all that tight. But the individual strands in wire like THHN are too thick for me to twist with bare fingers so I have to get out pliers (usually long nose since I usually have that most handy).

I will give round wire nuts a final half or quarter turn using pliers but only go finger tight with finned wire nuts.

Last edited by AllanJ; 05-02-2010 at 08:09 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2010, 10:40 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 308

With wire nuts and wing nuts, pre-twisting is not required. Especially with stranded. Line the stripped wire ends together and install the wire nut twisting clockwise. That's how they were designed to be used. No taping wire nuts either.

You can twist and tape if you like, but you did ask for a professional opinion.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement