Power Supply To Garage - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2010, 09:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Power supply to Garage

At my cabin, I have a 220 stove receptacle not being used (I have a gas stove) I've built a garage and would like to run a line and hook up a temporary power supply for this winter only. Next year I'll do the proper (and legal) underground connections, wiring, etc. Can I run a cable from the cabin to say, a 30 amp box and split it to a couple 15 amp breakers? Not asking how, just if it's possible before i appraoch an electrician.
bushmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2010, 09:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Possible? Always.

Legal? Sometimes.

In either case, not exactly as you've worded it, but the concept is right.

I created some peculiar (and, in retrospect, scary) variations of what you propose in my past. It always worked, nobody ever got hurt, but the potential was there. If you're this unsure of what you're doing, DEFINITELY follow the advice of an electrician, who will almost definitely tell you that "plugging in the garage" is a bad idea.
emolatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2010, 03:51 AM   #3
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 3,620

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushmoose View Post
At my cabin, I have a 220 stove receptacle not being used (I have a gas stove) I've built a garage and would like to run a line and hook up a temporary power supply for this winter only. Next year I'll do the proper (and legal) underground connections, wiring, etc. Can I run a cable from the cabin to say, a 30 amp box and split it to a couple 15 amp breakers? Not asking how, just if it's possible before i appraoch an electrician.
As emolatur says, almost anyone qualified will tell you that "plugging in the garage" is a bad idea... but it's almost certainly possible to do, and might even be doable relatively safely. However, it's probably no simpler than just wiring it from the panel. You could run a temporary cable overhead to the garage (4-wire UF might be a good choice; you can bury that same cable later), and wire it to the breaker that used to feed the stove receptacle. That avoids the whole problem of dealing with plugs and cords, and the probable issue of 3 versus 4 wire range receptacles.
mpoulton is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2010, 09:27 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks fella's! As you probably guessed, I'm no electrician. This idea was suggested to me and I thought I'd put out a few 'feelers" and see what sort of feedback I would get. Maybe just a couple of extension cords will work for the winter months, safer and less hassle.
bushmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:25 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 308

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushmoose View Post
Thanks fella's! As you probably guessed, I'm no electrician. This idea was suggested to me and I thought I'd put out a few 'feelers" and see what sort of feedback I would get. Maybe just a couple of extension cords will work for the winter months, safer and less hassle.
Thats it. Extension cords. Safest way.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushmoose
Yeas as long as it is moved once a year and the garage is not attached to the house. Then it is considered temp if you disconnect once a year roll up the cord and do it again.
ianc435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:11 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 256

Elliot, this is a do it yourself forum.
michaelcherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement