Power Meter Pull - Electrical - Page 3 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 05:42 PM   #31
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 756
Rewards Points: 774
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeach1125 View Post
yes it is possible i have done it countless times, but then again im an electrician, i know the risks safety wise. You would be not only exposing live cables you run the risk of having an arc flash if the panel is not shut off
You risk an arc flash, no matter the state of the premises wiring. Been there. Done that. You risk an arc flash ANY TIME you are near energized equipment/wiring, but meters are some of the MOST dangerous.

Mark
busman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-11-2010, 06:16 PM   #32
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brooklyn, New York (NYC)
Posts: 1,124
Rewards Points: 500
Thumbs up


Quote:
Originally Posted by busman View Post
You risk an arc flash, no matter the state of the premises wiring. Been there. Done that. You risk an arc flash ANY TIME you are near energized equipment/wiring, but meters are some of the MOST dangerous.

Mark
What long beach 1125 means. That even when you're not shorting/grounding out any live wires, you still run the risk of an arc flash if you are disconnecting/connecting heavy loads. If you're shutting off the main breaker, you're at least avoiding THAT risk. That is the reason some utilities (at least the local utility) require installing BYPASS meter enclosures when doing a major upgrade!
spark plug is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #33
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brooklyn, New York (NYC)
Posts: 1,124
Rewards Points: 500
Thumbs up


Quote:
Originally Posted by secutanudu View Post
The point of forums like these is so an online community benefits from people's knowledge and experience. There is also safety in numbers, meaning that if someone gives questionable advice, there will be contradictory opinions to take into consideration. Trying to circumvent that so you can give advice to someone is irresponsible.
You're exaggerating a bit. Isn't the PM (Private Messaging) option available for the reason that if you want to convey a message that shouldn't go on a public forum you can avail yourself of that option.!

Last edited by spark plug; 02-11-2010 at 07:14 PM. Reason: missing word (to)
spark plug is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #34
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 32
Rewards Points: 25
Default


thats exactly what i meant thanks spark
longbeach1125 is offline  
Old 02-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #35
Just call me Andrew
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 2,271
Rewards Points: 1,032
Default


Good point, I guess I am overreacting just a bit...guess I just got a bit irritated
__________________
Andrew

secutanudu is offline  
Old 02-11-2010, 06:30 PM   #36
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 32
Rewards Points: 25
Default


Bus how are meters the most dangerous?

Bus what do you mean by arc flash? Are you talking about the spark when pulling the meter out of the socket? or are you talking about some kind of a mistake like dropping a tool in the meter and crossing phases?

U said been there done that? please elaborate
keep in mind were talking 120/240v here not high voltage

Last edited by longbeach1125; 02-11-2010 at 06:31 PM. Reason: adding to post
longbeach1125 is offline  
Old 02-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #37
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: central virginia mountains
Posts: 1,857
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default


grab a 120 and ground and let me know if thats not high enough voltage for you
__________________
The older I get the better I was
tpolk is offline  
Old 02-11-2010, 07:02 PM   #38
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 32
Rewards Points: 25
Default


nec says high voltage is 600v and over, i am talking about when electricity can arc across air and blast you, you do not even need to touch it. Thats what i was asking if bus was talking about because he said "just being near energized equipment"

tpolk
longbeach1125 is offline  
Old 02-11-2010, 07:22 PM   #39
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brooklyn, New York (NYC)
Posts: 1,124
Rewards Points: 500
Thumbs up


Quote:
Originally Posted by secutanudu View Post
Good point, I guess I am overreacting just a bit...guess I just got a bit irritated
I understand where you're coming from. (I don't mean geographically). The point is, that if we have only private discussions, a/o a public forum, no benefit is derived for everyone else. And the the assurance that no wrong info. is provided!
spark plug is offline  
Old 02-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #40
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 756
Rewards Points: 774
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeach1125 View Post
Bus how are meters the most dangerous?

Bus what do you mean by arc flash? Are you talking about the spark when pulling the meter out of the socket? or are you talking about some kind of a mistake like dropping a tool in the meter and crossing phases?

U said been there done that? please elaborate
keep in mind were talking 120/240v here not high voltage

Too tired to post the photos tonight. Any clue about available fault current? Fault clearing times? If you think 120/240 is safe from arc faults, you are clueless.

Mark
busman is offline  
Old 02-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #41
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 32
Rewards Points: 25
Default


are you saying there more dangerous than a panel or a disconnect, and why do you seem to be taking this personal? i am sure not
longbeach1125 is offline  
Old 02-12-2010, 05:18 AM   #42
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 756
Rewards Points: 774
Default


I apologize if I take this personally. I've been in an arc flash/blast in a meter enclosure. Here's the details:

1) Residential single phase 120/240V, 320/400A underground service with lever bypass meter enclosure.

2) Distance to padmount transformer about 75'.

3) Settling of underground conductors put tension on phase terminal in meter socket and cracked the plastic insulator that held the terminal. Blade of meter kept the terminal in place.

4) When I removed the meter, the terminal rotated and exploded.

5) Blinding light, face full of molten metal (I still have the safety glasses with hundreds of pieces of steel melted into the glass) and a boom so loud that my helper (around the corner) was sure he would find me dead.

6) I'm OK because that plastic insulator took about a second to give way and I was about 2-3 feet away when it went. Divine intervention in my book.

So, why do I think meters are so dangerous? The following:

1) Not designed to interrupt a circuit.

2) Always on the line side of any OCPD (other than the primary).

3) Made of glass (and have a history of exploding).

4) Almost always installed outdoors and subject to hidden corrosion damage.

But, regardless, my original statement stands. You are in danger of arc flash/blast whenever you are exposed to energized parts, period. Things that have been fine for years have a way of breaking when disturbed.

So - do I still pull meters? Yes, but I wear:

1) 20 cal/cm2 overalls and jacket.

2) Arc flash face shield.

3) Class 1 rubber gloves and leather protectors

4) Use a meter puller (to enclose the glass portion and contain/redirect an explosion).

Respectfully,

Mark
busman is offline  
Old 02-12-2010, 07:08 AM   #43
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default


I think that pretty much ends any DIY thought for meter removal
Get a Pro...not worth the risk, definitely not worth your life

Thread & Poll where firefighters discuss pulling a meter
63% (74 votes) would never pull a meter
24% (28 votes) only under certain conditions
http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58566

If you want to see an arc flash take a look at this demo





Scuba_Dave is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I get power to a new ceiling fan? sestivers Electrical 15 10-10-2016 04:16 PM
safe way to add extension to power cord sil Electrical 7 10-18-2007 09:58 PM
Turning main power supply off from the meter amakarevic Electrical 2 05-22-2007 10:33 PM
Problem W/ Power after Switching Outlets... G19-Fanatic Electrical 17 08-28-2006 01:55 PM
Partial power on same fuse! joyjam Electrical 5 07-10-2005 10:23 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts