Power Dimms Down For A Split Second... - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
transmitterrecieverpntgun

Rewards Points: 75

Power dimms down for a split second...

I live in a pieced together old house that needs ALOT of tlc and has ALOT of projects done to it in the last 5 years. I have public power and a 200 amp box. The wiring is suddenly giving me fits. About a year ago, the lights started "flickering" for a split second every now and than......It has progressed slowely into a bigger problem. when the dryer is running (220) the lights flicker and dim down repeatedly. This is the same for running a heater, blow dryer or heat device. NO the breakers are not overloaded. It now does it when nothing is on accept a few lights and now started doing it when the well pump kicks on. im at a loss, it will sometimes go all day with not one flicker than the next day every little thing like the fridge kicking on makes them flicker untill it kicks off....ANY IDEAS....ANYONE? No electrician will look at it for anything lass than $250.00 I am in remote Alaska...kinda sorta...not realy...untill people quote theyre prices....than suddenly were WAY out there...

Edit: I should mention that a few years ago I had to shut off the power at the meter because I was working in the crawlspace on a waterline and it was giving me the heebeegeebeees crawling around down there...I bumped a low hanging wire and nothing happened...but it still freaked me out... When I went to turn back on the power, The dryer and well pump didnt work. During the trouble shooting process, I turned on and off the power out at the meter a few times and it suddenly started working again...I chalked it up to devine entervention and have not ever had problem with the well or dryer since.....creepy

Last edited by utilitylocator; 11-29-2010 at 07:28 PM.
utilitylocator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Did you call the power company? Sounds like a bad/loose connection on their end.

With the temperature extremes of Alaska, it is quite possible for a connection to go bad after awhile. The power company should be asked to check all their connections, from the transformer to the meter box. Once they have confirmed their end is on the up and up, THEN call in an electrician if the problem still exists.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2010, 10:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

if not on the power companies end, check for a loose neutral coming into your panel. i had a very similar issue to the one you describe, and that was my problem. (actually, it wasn't loose, it was corroded away and non existent...)
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement