Possible Violation- 2 Cables In Single Clamp? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2010, 12:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 97

possible violation- 2 cables in single clamp?

my main panel has two 12-2 w/grnd romex cables going through a single 1/2" knockout fitted with a single cable clamp. this is NOT a "Y" type clamp which has two channels merging into a single hole.

a. is this a violation of NEC
b. if this situation were to exist at a switch box, will that be a vioaltion?

thanks.

PS this may have been answered somewhere but i could not find it.
drgkjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2010, 01:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

I'm no expert. I've read the Canada code book and you can't have two wires in one knockout in a box, I can't imaging it would be any different for the panel, that's why they have all those knockouts.
Troglodyte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:
drgkjd (05-29-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2010, 03:02 AM   #3
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgkjd View Post
my main panel has two 12-2 w/grnd romex cables going through a single 1/2" knockout fitted with a single cable clamp. this is NOT a "Y" type clamp which has two channels merging into a single hole.

a. is this a violation of NEC
b. if this situation were to exist at a switch box, will that be a vioaltion?

thanks.

PS this may have been answered somewhere but i could not find it.
two NM cable thru the half inch KO's I have see that pretty often but the very important part is look at the cable clamp listing some will only listed for one cable not two cables.

to answer your two question

A1. No as long the cable clamp do list two cables it is not a issue but soem local area may not allow two cable in the clamp .
A2. At the switch box all it depending on metal or plastique if metal box all it depend if have KO or NM / BX/ MC clamp there with the KO the answer will be the same as A1 is but for NM/BX/MC interal clamp no it have to be one each hole {I have see some did have two in one holes and most case it is not listed ( approved ) in that manner but plastique if have interal clamp no only do one cable for each one but if have a KO just treat them the same as metal box KO's as I outline above.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frenchelectrican For This Useful Post:
drgkjd (05-29-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2010, 01:58 PM   #4

hi frenchelectrician...obviously i don't have the packaging from the clamps the original electrician used years ago but i bought a new pack from hd that looks "almost" identical and it is OK for two 12-2 cables. so i will assume that what is there already is good too.

add: may be i should not assume...is there way to tell if the old clamps i good for two cables?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
two NM cable thru the half inch KO's I have see that pretty often but the very important part is look at the cable clamp listing some will only listed for one cable not two cables.

to answer your two question

A1. No as long the cable clamp do list two cables it is not a issue but soem local area may not allow two cable in the clamp .
A2. At the switch box all it depending on metal or plastique if metal box all it depend if have KO or NM / BX/ MC clamp there with the KO the answer will be the same as A1 is but for NM/BX/MC interal clamp no it have to be one each hole {I have see some did have two in one holes and most case it is not listed ( approved ) in that manner but plastique if have interal clamp no only do one cable for each one but if have a KO just treat them the same as metal box KO's as I outline above.

Merci,Marc

Last edited by drgkjd; 05-29-2010 at 02:07 PM. Reason: added question
Old 05-29-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,006

I have never seen a "typical" metallic NM cable connector that was not rated for two cables.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:06 PM   #6

thanks...now i can put this out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
I have never seen a "typical" metallic NM cable connector that was not rated for two cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement