A few weeks ago I replaced a six light hollywood bathroom fixture with a new four light halogen light fixture. It has worked perfectly until yesterday when I turned it on and it made a pop sound and I saw a spark flying down from one of the lights. After that nothing happened. It stayed on and did not trip a circuit breaker. I tried it today and no pop and no spark.
I like the snap, crackle, Pop in my Rice Krispies, but when the lights did this I get a little concerned. Can anyone explain this to me? Is this dangerous?
About all that you can do is use your eyes to see what happened. Turn off the power, open the fixture and look around. There has to be some clue somewhere. Also, remove the four lamps and inspect each socket.
When you open it up look for black marks where a flash might have been. It sounds like the hot and ground were touching but when you turned it on the blast caused the wire to separate and clear the short.