Please Help Ceiling Fan Wired Incorrectly With Pictures - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2016, 06:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

please help ceiling fan wired incorrectly with pictures

I was trying to put up a new ceiling fan and when I took the screws out of the old one it came apart rather easily and I could not see how it was wired. Right now it looks like there are two black wires connected with a white and then another single white. So I am confused. Because my instructions for the new fan say to attach the new black and blue to the black. So is that the single black? Or the two black connected to the white? And then it says white to white? And green to bare or green which I don't see a bare or green in the box... Is the white connected to the bare wires? I can't tell because of the old wiring. I will take a picture or two for anyone to help me. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
please help ceiling fan wired incorrectly with pictures-1476659033672.jpg   please help ceiling fan wired incorrectly with pictures-1476659153879.jpg  
bmaxwell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2016, 07:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,986

Re: please help ceiling fan wired incorrectly with pictures

You said
Quote:
Right now it looks like there are two black wires connected with a white and then another single white
I don't see a single white. I see a single black. There should be a single black and a single white. That single white should be attached to 2 other whites up in the box.

I assume that there is a switch for this fan/light.

Assuming that there is is a switch, that there is a single black and there is a single white,
Attach the black from the fan/light to the bundle of 2 blacks and one white. Attach the blue from the fan/light to the single black. Attach the white from the fan/light to the single white. If there is no single white, attach the white from the fan/light to the 2 whites up in the box. Attach the green from the fan/light to the bare wire. If you have no bare wire leave the green unattached.

The switch will control the light, as I assume it previously did.

Last edited by hkstroud; 10-16-2016 at 08:09 PM.
hkstroud is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hkstroud For This Useful Post:
bmaxwell1 (10-16-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ceiling fan , electrical