Please Help! - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Please Help!

Hello,

I am utterly confused...

We are in the process of converting our extra storage room into a nursery for the soon to be due baby. I changed the switch to the ceiling fan as well as the outlets in the room to update the color. When i get done, the ceiling fan, outlet on same run, nor the switches etc on half of this same breaker. Its weird because now my other 2 kids dont have celiling fans or a bathroom light, but the other bath does (on same breaker).

THe only thing i changed was the switch and one outlet in the same room, why are the other lights etc being effected?

Coming into the switch box are 3 sets of 14/2. One is power coming in, one to outlet, and other to ceiling fixture? However, both wires are hot on the incoming power, so when i test anything or everything, there is no neutral.. Please help!

Confused...
pedward is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2009, 03:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedward View Post
Hello,

I am utterly confused...

We are in the process of converting our extra storage room into a nursery for the soon to be due baby. I changed the switch to the ceiling fan as well as the outlets in the room to update the color. When i get done, the ceiling fan, outlet on same run, nor the switches etc on half of this same breaker. Its weird because now my other 2 kids dont have celiling fans or a bathroom light, but the other bath does (on same breaker).

THe only thing i changed was the switch and one outlet in the same room, why are the other lights etc being effected?

Coming into the switch box are 3 sets of 14/2. One is power coming in, one to outlet, and other to ceiling fixture? However, both wires are hot on the incoming power, so when i test anything or everything, there is no neutral.. Please help!

Confused...
You need to take all the rec back out where they stab in or wraped around screw ? One of your outlets you took out the neutral broke off or came un stabed from rec
300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #3

theres only one and it looks fine. Both wires coming into it are hot which is why i think the problem is in the way the switch before it is wired. i put it back just like i found it but still no lights!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2009, 03:56 PM   #4

Please Help!-dscf1861.jpg
Old 10-11-2009, 05:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,532

Does your picture show how it is now or how it was before you switched things? Did you add the black tape to the wires or were they there before? Are the black taped ones the incoming hots?
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:27 PM   #6

thats how it was. I put the tape on the wires to identify the hot leads. Both the white and black from the same run are hot. Its that way throughout the switches on this breaker.

Think something shorted out somewhere?

Its weird, the master bath lights work, but from there all outlets and fixtures have power to both neutral and hot sides.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:37 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,532

It is really hard to tell from the picture which pair of wires is going where due to shadows and they all have white overspray on them. It looks like one of the switch terminals has two wires attached to it? Also, you have seem to have a black wire (id'd by the black tape) connected to your white neutrals. This doesn't seem right to me. I'm thinking you may have a switch loop going on here wherein hot wire comes into switch (a black) and exits junction box to the fixture via a black wire and returns to the junction box as a white wire (marked with the black tape?). Did you change the position of the wires when you replaced the switch and outlet? Were the whites all connected with the white with the black tape before you changed the switch and outlet?
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:44 PM   #8
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

How many wires are attached to the associated receptacle? What are you using to check for which wires are hot? You need to be using a meter or test light, not an inductive (proximity) tester so you can test between wires.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:22 AM   #9

The whites were all connected together before i started. I disconnected them all to try and figure out where they run to. That is when i marked the wires with tape, they were not previously identified.

2 of the 3 are coming into switch box from attic. One to the ceiling fixture and the other from the switchbox in the adjacent bedroom. the last wire goes to the rec next to switch.

I am testing power with multimeter.

Also, i have one of those plugs used to test the outlets and its saying that the ground and hot are reversed. I dont see how, when the ground wire is attached to the rec and tied together in the switch box. All whites are to white and all hots are to hots.

There is only one wire going to the rec.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:29 AM   #10

With the switch on does the other things work correct ?
Old 10-12-2009, 06:56 AM   #11

no difference with switch on or off...

doing more searching, maybe there is an open neutral somewhere on this circuit? when i get home from work, i will try going through all the other outlets and switches on the circuit to make sure they are screwed into the rec and not in the stab holes...
Old 10-12-2009, 07:20 AM   #12

That is good advice!! make sure you turn the power off to that braker a lost neutral can also kill you becarefull Sounds like one of the neutral wires came loose let use know itf it doesn't help and we will go from there. You might also check the ones that are working one of the feeds could have came loose.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #13

WOOOHOOO!!!

What a wonderful resource this is!!

So, I got home and started thinking about this again. Started by going around to the plugs that still worked on this breaker with my outlet tester. Found one outlet that had an open ground, connected the ground wire and nothing. THen went to what i thought was the last working plug and pulled it out. All connected through the stab holes (one of the neutrals was loose and popped out). I secured them all to the set screws,
popped back on the breaker and waaalaaah! Working again!

THanks again for alll your help!!!
Old 10-12-2009, 07:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedward View Post
WOOOHOOO!!!

What a wonderful resource this is!!

So, I got home and started thinking about this again. Started by going around to the plugs that still worked on this breaker with my outlet tester. Found one outlet that had an open ground, connected the ground wire and nothing. THen went to what i thought was the last working plug and pulled it out. All connected through the stab holes (one of the neutrals was loose and popped out). I secured them all to the set screws,
popped back on the breaker and waaalaaah! Working again!

THanks again for alll your help!!!
That's the way it usually is Hate stab in rec Good job on fixing your problem !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement