Permit Application Harder Than The Wiring Job Itself - WA State - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 01-18-2008, 02:04 PM   #1
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 10

Permit application harder than the wiring job itself - WA State

I'll start by saying that I'm not an electrician, but have done numerous wiring jobs for miscellaneous industrial applications, while earning my engineering degree. So, I feel confortable performing the task at hand. Here's a description of the work I am going to perform:

I removed a coat closet in my living room, that had a 2 gang switch, and 2 power outlets. With the walls gone, I need to re-route the wiring to the nearest wall, which basically means adding a j-box and some "extensions" on the existing wire runs. Additionally, I am going to add a new leg to the light over my sink to a new switch. So in summary, extend and re-route existing wiring, and add one new leg to split out an existing light.

What I need help with today is Electrician jargon on the permit application for Snohomish county. I've made it to the point where it asks about the service items. With the above described work, I don't know what to select on the permit. Here's a link to the page where I'm stuck...what do I select? My guess would be "Altered Service or Feeder", 1-200 Amps, Qty 1.

Thanks for the help,

blschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,861
Rewards Points: 1,000

sounds like your project is so small that they probably don't have a category to it as most people probably won't apply permit for such... but don't get me wrong... do the permit stuff if it is required by law ...
KUIPORNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2008, 08:36 PM   #3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 116
Rewards Points: 75

Tried calling them?

I know over here in Oregon, we just get a minor label for extending branch circuits. Minor labels are used for small changes to electrical(extending a circuit, changing a bad main breaker out, etc) and I'm told only 10% of minors are inspected. Can't really help you with WA though, I only do work across the river a few times a year and I'm not the one that pulls the permits.
Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Basement Renovation Question KUIPORNG Remodeling 234 08-26-2008 09:19 AM
Knob & Tube wiring - How concerned should we be? hotdiggitydog Electrical 6 04-11-2006 08:52 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts