Panel Questions - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
R_T

Rewards Points: 25

Panel questions

Any opinions and reasons to use or not use either Square D, Cutler Hammer or Seimens?

What will hold up better in a ocean atmosphere, a copper bused panel or the more common tin plated aluminum? Why?

Thanks y'all. I always appreciate your opinions, even when I don't agree ;-)
R_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
R_T

Would I need to use a breaker with copper buss clips to avoid problems associated with using different type metals (copper bus to aluminum (?) breaker clip.

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2010, 12:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 308

Any UL listed panel is fine for you to use. All three you mention are good choices. I personally like a copper bus, but its not required. If the breaker is designed to be used in your panel you can use it. Do not make this harder than it is. Pick out the panel you like and install it.
If you need help after you buy it, just chime back in. There are plenty qualified guys here to help.

I saw a GE 200 amp main breaker panel at Home Depot with a 50, 30, 4 -20 and 4 - 15 amp breakers included for right at $125.00. That would be the one I would get. Thats just me.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
R_T

Perhaps this is not the right forum for an electrician to seek consult with other electrician. If so I apologize and will cease to post. If it is OK, then perhaps reasons for my questions should have been included in my post.

I commonly use Seimens or Cutler on my projects. An architect is specifying Square D. In the past I've had issue with Square D and was looking to see if others had the same thoughts. I am much more comfortable basing my opinion on my experience if I can cross check it with feedback from other qualified individuals. As for the CU bussing - again, this is a spec on the plans. My concern is that CU will not hold up to ocean air as well as tin plated aluminum. I've never used CU bussing so I don't know. I wanted to get some experienced opinions and qualifying thoughts but I guess I'll just call the companies on Monday and rely 100% on their techies - something I prefer not to do.

Another requirement for this project is hinged inside and outside doors. I believe that configuration requires me to use bolt-ons. Anyone had experience using bolt-ons and copper bussing? I'm a resi guy. This sounds commercial, especially the hinged doors.

Thanks
Old 02-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

We do have our "sister" forum for Pro's:

http://www.contractortalk.com/

Any & all Pro questions over there & you may get more feedback
Myself I went with Square D for subs because the Main panel was already Square D
Easier to swap breakers that way

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 308

Come on over to www.electriciantalk.com. Great forum same format as this one. Professionals only.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
R_T

Thanks guys, will do.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:00 PM   #8
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

All Square D type QO panels, rated 150 Amps and more have tin-plated copper bussing. The tin plating helps to prevent corrosion, while the copper has the superior conductivity.

I have used these in ocean air environments for years. One thing, however: Be sure to mount the panel where the rainwater can hit it, not under a canopy. It is essential for the rain to wash off the salt residue that you will find near the ocean. The outer NEMA-3R enclosure will rust out much faster if the rain can't wash off the salt.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement