Outlet For Over-Range Microwave - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2010, 06:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 27

Outlet for Over-Range Microwave

I'm curious as to the best location for the outlet for an over-range microwave. I figured putting the outlet above the cabinets would be a good place, and then just run the power cord up through the cabinet, but I want to get your opinions as well.
sbazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2010, 07:09 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,662

Normally I just place the receptacle in the lower right corner of the cabinet.
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2010, 08:24 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Our microwave outlet is IN the cabinet above the microwave as well.

I like the idea of getting it totally out of the way, assuming that the cabinets are so tall that you can not see it. However, my only personal concern is the hole you would have to make to get to the top of the cabinet. That hole becomes an entry way for "stuff" (dust if nothing else). The hole has to be big enough to fit a three prong plug, and remain open in some fashion to allow swapping the microwave out in the future.

Perhaps a better placement would be near inside the cabinet, but installed in the wall (back side of cabinet). That way you don't have to make any holes in the top of the cabinet and you don't loose cabinet space. However, if you make it near the top, you have to worry about running the wire such that it's not a problem for any shelves in the cabinet.

So perhaps the best place is near the bottom of the cabinet. But I still like the idea of it being in the wall rather than on the "floor" of the cabinet like mine is.
HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2010, 08:50 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
Perhaps a better placement would be near inside the cabinet, but installed in the wall (back side of cabinet). That way you don't have to make any holes in the top of the cabinet and you don't loose cabinet space. However, if you make it near the top, you have to worry about running the wire such that it's not a problem for any shelves in the cabinet.

So perhaps the best place is near the bottom of the cabinet. But I still like the idea of it being in the wall rather than on the "floor" of the cabinet like mine is.
So when you suggest inside the wall, you're talking about mounting an outlet box to the side of a stud, and then running the power cable through a hole in the wall? Does that go against code? I mean, what kind of access is required for any outlet? I can see mounting just a single-plug outlet against the back wall of the cabinet. Then only the plug itself would be taking up room. Thanks. Something to think about.
sbazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:13 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,070

Most microwave instructions direct the installer to the cabinet above the microwave that way when you are hanging it you can feed the cord and plug up to the cabinet before tilting it all the way back in the support frame.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement