Outdoor Junction Box - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RAL238
  • 1 Post By MrElectricianTV

Old 02-13-2019, 06:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Outdoor junction box

Hi,

I'm planning several projects over an extended time period which all involve electrical work to various points in my property. An example is i'm getting a new well put in soon; but sometime next year I will be putting in an outbuilding with a subpanel. Even farther out will be a standby generator. For all three of these projects, i'd like the reduce the trenching work needed underneath my driveway, which separates my house from the work sites for all three of these projects.

I'd like to bury one run of 2 or 3 inch conduit underneath my driveway when I do my first project that will go to an outdoor "junction box" of sorts, which can carry all the wires in one run to this box, which will then splice out to smaller conduit that will lead to the outbuilding / well / generator sites. Initially it will only contain wires for the first project, and I'll be adding more wires and conduit to it later as I get to the subsequent projects.

What is the best solution/terminology for this "junction box"? I tried searching for "3 inch junction box", but didn't see something close what I had in mind. The box will be essentially outdoors in a location not against a building, so I'm envisioning either freestanding object with conduit coming out of the ground to it, or the wiring can be accessed via a hatch that, when closed, is flush with the ground. I imagine it will need to be weather/waterproof. The wires inside will not necessarily have splices; it can be a single run of wire through multiple conduits that just branch off at this location.

Thanks in advance.
reimhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2019, 06:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,190

Re: Outdoor junction box

I think you probably want an underground pull box.

https://www.platt.com/platt-electric...D=2&GroupID=30
Ca443 likes this.
RAL238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2019, 06:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Oh I see, thanks. I haven't worked with these before -- I presume I'll need to drill holes manually for the conduit. How would they connect to the box, especially the precast concrete ones?
reimhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2019, 09:14 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,084

Quote:
Originally Posted by reimhagen View Post
Oh I see, thanks. I haven't worked with these before -- I presume I'll need to drill holes manually for the conduit. How would they connect to the box, especially the precast concrete ones?
There are fittings called End Bells that are used for bringing PVC conduit into underground junctions. Also you will need to install expansion couplings.

http://www.carlonsales.com/techinfo/..._40_and_80.pdf
reimhagen likes this.

MrElectrician.TV
MrElectricianTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:33 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 58

If you want the box above ground, you need an outdoor junction and pull box NEMA3R rated. Often called J and P box. Sizes range from 4" (too small) to over 3'. Come in metal or PVC. They are sold by box dimensions, not conduit size.
Wiredindallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
conduit , electrical box , subpanel , wiring