Which Is One Is Good ELCB /RCCB/GFCI - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2010, 06:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Which is one is good ELCB /RCCB/GFCI

Hi,

I just wanted to know more about ELCB /RCCB/GFCI product

Presently we have using inverter line and main lines in our home

Inverter line for 2 bedroom lights
Main line for refrigerator, water motor & wet grinder (heavy load equipments)

We have AEH line also but we are not using it for long time so wire removed from panel board

16h MCB is already installed in panel board

Now I am in confusion with which model I need to install
30mA or 100mA

Some engineers advised that 100mA is good because refrigerator, water motor & wet grinders gives problem with 30mA ELCB (ELCB will start tripping)

But I researched using Google and found that humans can survive upto 60mA

So please advice which model (ELCB /RCCB/GFCI ) and what mA I need to install

Kind regards,
Narayan
narayan_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 07:00 AM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 5,082

The threshhold for personell (PEOPLE) protection is 5mA for a GFCI. Nowhere near as high as 60mA. Those higher thresholds are using of protection of equipment not people.

Those acronyms are generally referencing the same thing as GFCI. What are you trying to accomplish and why do you think you need GFCI protection? I.E. are you trying to protect equipment or people?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...v5Q6J8L-m2HSDw

Last edited by brric; 03-10-2010 at 08:21 AM. Reason: additional
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 12:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Re: Which is one is good ELCB /RCCB/GFCI Reply to Thread

Hi Brric,

Many thanks for your reply

I just checked your mentioned website link http://www.highvoltageconnection.com...kQuestions.htm very informative article thanks!

Very recently my dad expired due to electrical shock (when he tried to plug the water motor and he got shock and garden floor was wet and no one was there to help him.
My younger brother noticed it after 10-15 min and me and other family members on trip - very tragic accident)
After incident I noticed that installed MCB only helps to protect shock circuits.

And none of our electrical engineers ever informed about such Leakage Circuit Breaker items

So now I am researching these Earth Leakage Circuit Breakers to protect my family members.

So please advice which one is better to save lives

Thank you

Kind regards,
Narayan
narayan_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 5,082

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan_k View Post
Hi Brric,

Many thanks for your reply

I just checked your mentioned website link http://www.highvoltageconnection.com...kQuestions.htm very informative article thanks!

Very recently my dad expired due to electrical shock (when he tried to plug the water motor and he got shock and garden floor was wet and no one was there to help him.
My younger brother noticed it after 10-15 min and me and other family members on trip - very tragic accident)
After incident I noticed that installed MCB only helps to protect shock circuits.

And none of our electrical engineers ever informed about such Leakage Circuit Breaker items

So now I am researching these Earth Leakage Circuit Breakers to protect my family members.

So please advice which one is better to save lives

Thank you

Kind regards,
Narayan
GFCI's (ground fault circuit interrupters) both GFCI receptacle and GFCI circuit breakers are designed to protect people from electricl shock.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Which location are you from due I can able understand the requirement which it will not cover the North Americian side at all.

But I will give you a quick sumary of my French electrical code so If you are in UK or Aussie area this will be somehow what diffrent

The main breaker do have 100ma RCD tripping device included however for branch circuits it will depending which circuit it will be served like example bathroom mantory 30ma RCD , Kitchen of course 30ma RCD protection, outdoor socket { recetaples } must have RCD on it but only one part is more stricter is swimming pool it will restricted more tighter to 10ma RCD.

genral lighting circuits no it do not have RCD protection right now.

The last part this is very important with main RCD I know UK reguations is very strict this part the electrician will have to do this part to order to get it hook up properly it the simuair way with France as well.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement