Old Floor Outlet - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2010, 09:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

old floor outlet

Hi all:
I recently uncovered a (live) outlet in the original parquet flooring (it had been carpeted over).

Fairly certain that the receptacle is at least partially encased in concrete slab (its a condo building and this is the original flooring so I'm pretty sure it goes down that far)

picture attached.

Trying to find the appropriate (and reasonably priced) solution to cover it.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks,
David
Attached Thumbnails
old floor outlet-img_0813.jpg  
schnitz411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 710

If you can identify the other end of this wire you can disconnect the wire and abandon it. If not, you must keep this outlet exposed. I assume you do not want to use the receptacle. I would remove the receptacle, wire nut the live ends separately. Install a blank cover. I would then get a piece of somewhat matching parquet tile and cut a cover that will fit the hole in the existing parquet. Secure with screws. If you have killed the wire, you can glue the patch down.

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2010, 10:25 AM   #3

Hmm... Certainly have no great need to keep it live. 75% sure I know where it hits a switch and can be disconnected entirely.

Digging around it a bit the receptacle (which I think is a cylindrical box) is surrounded by some sort of epoxy-ish/gluey rubber which is pretty crumbly. That goes down at least 1 1/2" and can be removed fairly easily.

The box is labelled Fullman Manufacturing, Latrobe, PA which I assume is long out of business.

The entire cavity in the floor is a diamater of about 4 1/2" inches and the box looks like its 3" across.

If I were to keep it live, can I buy a proper floor ring/cover/flange of some sort that would fit properly? At the end of the day that will probably look better than a parquet patch. Aesthetics are actually the primary concern in this situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
If you can identify the other end of this wire you can disconnect the wire and abandon it. If not, you must keep this outlet exposed. I assume you do not want to use the receptacle. I would remove the receptacle, wire nut the live ends separately. Install a blank cover. I would then get a piece of somewhat matching parquet tile and cut a cover that will fit the hole in the existing parquet. Secure with screws. If you have killed the wire, you can glue the patch down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2010, 10:54 AM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 710

How about getting a decorative brass or bronze medallion a little bigger than the hole in the parquet. Disconnect the wiring, knock out as much of the old box as you can and use grout or mortar to fill up to the slab level. Trace the outline of the medallion on the parquet and cut out with a router. Epoxy the medallion in place flush with the parquet surface. It will look like something you added for decoration. Add some more in a pattern if it trips your trigger.

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 308

If you can find out where this circuit originates, you can disconnect it and push the wires down into the box or cut them off as short as possible and cover it permanently. It must be physically disconnected at the switch or breaker and the wire cut so someone cannot come back and energize it or re-connect it. It would be no different than abandoning a cable in a wall.

Then just cover with the same flooring material.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:53 PM   #6
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,662

Is there a chance that this is one of the required receptacles to satisfy the 6-12 rule when there is no wallspace?
Old 04-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #7

Actually it is...I have an exterior wall of about 16 feet that has(and can't -- its a single layer of metal/windows) no outlets...this is about a foot away from that wall close to the middle.

Seems like what I should be doing is either replacing this receptacle with a new, similar one for which I can get the proper rings/reducers/etc to make it look right, or finding those accessories for the existing ones.
Attached Thumbnails
old floor outlet-img_0814.jpg  

Last edited by schnitz411; 04-03-2010 at 04:49 PM. Reason: New Pic attached
Sponsored Links
Advertisement