Old Barn--Bad Wiring - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2010, 04:29 AM   #1
Enough is Enough

Rewards Points: 75

old Barn--Bad Wiring

Took the cover off and this don't look right, or safe:.

It has 220 feed in from the bottom, all white wires, and a fourth white going to the ground post outside.

all this coming from my new outside 200 amp service/pole. The electrician said I can now run 100 A to this old barn, and run another 100 A line to my pole barn/metal shop.

I've always installed my own outlets and switches, but never hooked up a service entrance. Eventually, I'll have 150' of new cables run out to this new box.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out the best way to add more switches and outlets, to hold me over till I can afford the new underground cable installed. All the white wire you see, is 12 ga.

I'd appreciate any and all suggestions from the resident experts here!! Thanks in advance!

Harrison
Attached Thumbnails
old Barn--Bad Wiring-old-barn-electrical-box-2010-003.jpg   old Barn--Bad Wiring-old-barn-electrical-box-2010-005.jpg   old Barn--Bad Wiring-old-barn-electrical-box-2010-006.jpg  
H. A. S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 320

An electrician did this? First things first, get a new electrician. Those conductors coming into the panel have to be enclosed in conduit or service entrance cable. There are no bushings/connectors in the knockouts for the incoming cables as well as the cables feeding the circuits on the right side of the panel either.
teamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2010, 01:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 308

If you made your electrician pull a permit for stuff like this you would not have this non-compliant mess you have. I have seen bad work and I have seen bad work. This is extra bad IMO.

You do know why he mounted that panel where he did right? So he did not have to make any holes himself. Hack.

Make people pull permits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2010, 01:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 512

What the heck type of panel is this? If the service is coming in from the bottom, I don't see a main breaker, and I can't tell that this is an MLO. Where are the incoming service wires, i.e., black, black, white? What is supplying this panel, a 50A breaker from the house?

WOW
sirsparksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 23,964

Quote:
Right now, I'm trying to figure out the best way to add more switches and outlets, to hold me over till I can afford the new underground cable installed. All the white wire you see, is 12 ga.

I'd appreciate any and all suggestions from the resident experts here!! Thanks in advance!
Find the money and replace the entire setup with a new panel and the proper underground cable. Use a different electrician and get proper inspections.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quite few of us are Electrician in this fourm so we know the answer.

That photo you show to us that is complety illegal set up I know it can be legit in old code but the way it set up it is NOT safe at all.

And I want to see the photo of what the so callled electrician did with your service box at the pole that what I am instering to see how bad it is.

A good Electrician will cover all base to make sure everything is legit.

If I was there I will make sure it is addressed during the service changeover that is my SOP and have the customer understand the safety I know it may cost more money upfront but once it done you have all the subpanels are legit with recenit code cycle.

Did that so called electrician pull the proper permits if so call the inspector and let them know you have issue going on.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:37 PM   #7
Enough is Enough

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamo View Post
An electrician did this? First things first, get a new electrician. Those conductors coming into the panel have to be enclosed in conduit or service entrance cable. There are no bushings/connectors in the knockouts for the incoming cables as well as the cables feeding the circuits on the right side of the panel either.

The electrician did the pole and new box, outside.

I thought with the dirt and ladybugs in there; would show that the box in the pics, is what was in the old barn. Getting ready to install a new box and breakers. Did you think I paid the electrician to install that box?

Do I win the contest for finding the most FU electrical box?
H. A. S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:01 AM   #8
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. A. S. View Post
The electrician did the pole and new box, outside.

I thought with the dirt and ladybugs in there; would show that the box in the pics, is what was in the old barn. Getting ready to install a new box and breakers. Did you think I paid the electrician to install that box?

Do I win the contest for finding the most FU electrical box?
Kinda close but few of us { Electricians } have see worst than that.

Merci,
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement