Oddball Nonstandard Light Fixture Mounting... - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2010, 09:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Oddball nonstandard light fixture mounting...

On one of my recent projects, I feel as though I'm trapped in a sort of electrical twilight zone.

Without getting into details as to how I wound up with such a screwy project, suffice it to say I'm doing a near-complete rewire for a financially-challenged friend... who keeps coming up with salvage and discount this's and that's... including various light fixtures...

The problem is, a number of them seem to have no realistic way to be installed. The two on my mind right now:

1. I have a wall fixture. The only instructions on it are "WALL-MOUNT ONLY, THIS SIDE UP". It has two screw holes, as one would expect. The problem? They are WIDER than ANY standard spacing. I've compared it to every size electrical box they make - the 4 squares with screws in the corners, 2-gang device boxes, single-gang, round, pancake, the older smaller round ones, no matter what, it just don't line up. The holes are farther apart than the widest-spaced electrical boxes they make. Fixture straps don't seem to exist for it either.

Am I seriously supposed to screw this thing directy to the wall? I don't buy that! No, it needs to be attached to a box (especially since I've already installed a box where we want the light), but... ?!

The second contraption, manufactured by "Regent", is an outdoor double floodlight with a built-in photocell... and no built-in mounting arrangements whatsoever. It's a plain, uninterrupted, partial-sphere-shaped metal thing with two lampholders and a photocell sticking out. There are no other holes or adornments whatsoever... it is about 6" round. Do I drill my own holes or something?

Of course, in both cases, the instructions are long gone!
emolatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

what is the distance between the two holes?

although you said fixture straps do not exist for it, I would suggest that is the likely answer.

got pics of the second one?
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2010, 12:26 AM   #3

Thankfully I'm not at the project house right now (it's 1:30am on Thanksgiving!) so I have neither a measurement nor photos for you.

If the standard holes are 3.5" (I pulled that number from another thread), these must be 4". the spacing is about 1/2" larger than a normal round box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2010, 12:48 AM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

well, a 4" square box is... well, I guess it would be 4" across. A 4 11/16" box would be...

wait for it....

4 11/16" across.

I haven't seen lights that have required a 4 11/16 box but if it works for you, then it works.

Is there some reason a mounting strap wouldn't work? I have seen lights where the strap mounts on the box and the mounting screw for the fixture were outside the box. EXIT lights often end up like that. In fact, have you ever mounted an EXIT light? they come with a round plate with a lot of slots in it to allow it to be mounted to many different sizes of boxes with the screws at no particular angle yet be able to mount the screws on the fixture aligned in a specified direction.

your regent light wouldn't be something like this would it?

http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/...te-629719.aspx
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:12 AM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Emolatur;

Where did I heard that luminaire before and the way you describing I hope I did hit the target that is 4 inch round WP cover with 3 X 1/2 inch KO's on it sorta like dished alum plate.

Something like this ??

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:02 AM   #6

Nah frenchelectrician, I'm familiar with those. In fact I prefer them. Do you remember when standard off-the-shelf hardware-store-issue motion-detecting lights were comprised of one of those covers with two lampholders in the sides and a motion sensor in the middle? I do. I preferred that, because I could seperate the motion detector. Not anymore. In any case, those mount on standard round boxes.

nap, I do have some 4 11/16 boxes, and have tried it. No go. You may be right on with the idea of a strap that's longer than the box - I just haven't ever seen one.

Yes I've seen exit signs, and other various devices with a crapton of options for mounting to different boxes. I actually kinda wish more products were made with that sort of flexibility.

I misused the word "floodlight". It's just two adjustable lampholders, that you'd screw par38's into - and that one you linked has a LOT more adornments than the one I'm dealing with. This one is literally blank except for the lampholders and the photocell. There are no other holes, slots, grooves, etc., and the Regent logo is the only marking I remember seeing (there may be a few other bits of text, but there wasn't anything I construed as a model number)

Really, I'll get more information this weekend, it's about 45 minutes from here and I'm not going to make a special trip to measure the space between a couple screw holes. I was just hoping someone was familiar with this situation. The light with *NO* hardware attachment points is the one that really puzzles me, but is the least important one to solve.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:27 AM   #7
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Thanks for bring it up and Oui I do recall it and that have oddball single screw in centre and that did have a yoke behind and I personally never like it espcally with WP boxes they not alway line up right.

The Reginet is the only one I know of they will work on 4 inch octangal box without major issue but the way they make the new one I am not too thrilled at all IMO they sunk it pretty bad.

That why I rather use the RAB units I know they cost more but I can justify it due better built unit plus what more they can withstand the surge little better than Regient is.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:03 AM   #8

I like knowing the application in advance and just walking into a place and grabbing a product that looks like it will fit.

Unfortunately I have to use what this guy hands me, because the budget to go buy a bunch of stuff just doesn't exist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement