Odd Interactions With Usb - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2015, 02:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

odd interactions with usb

I Had built a computer nearly a year ago and i always noticed that when i turned on/off a fan that i have at one side of my room while using the computer in a different electrical plug it would sometimes cause usb appliances like my keyboard which i would have to unplug the USB and re-plug it in for it to work again, Xbox controller which rather than going out randomly changes from"player 1" to 2-4 randomly there may be more effects that i haven't noticed
so does anyone have a clue why this is happening or if it has the possibility of damaging my computer
feel free to ask if i left out some details also the fan is connected to a "cheap" maybe power-strip
with 5/5 plugs used but my computer is connected to a high end power-strip with surge protection 2/5 plugs used if those facts change anything
Thanks ahead of time for any help
alexmark3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2015, 05:21 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,410

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmark3 View Post
I Had built a computer nearly a year ago and i always noticed that when i turned on/off a fan that i have at one side of my room while using the computer in a different electrical plug it would sometimes cause usb appliances like my keyboard which i would have to unplug the USB and re-plug it in for it to work again, Xbox controller which rather than going out randomly changes from"player 1" to 2-4 randomly there may be more effects that i haven't noticed
so does anyone have a clue why this is happening or if it has the possibility of damaging my computer
feel free to ask if i left out some details also the fan is connected to a "cheap" maybe power-strip
with 5/5 plugs used but my computer is connected to a high end power-strip with surge protection 2/5 plugs used if those facts change anything
Try using a different fan and see if the problem recurs.

My first suspicion would be that the fan is generating some funky electrical noise on the electric service. That noise is then hitting the power supplies on your computers (the computer and xbox), and they are not designed for it.
Tom738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2015, 09:19 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,076

Quote:
I would check to make sure that the polarity was correct for all of the receptacles. Next I would check for loose connections at each outlet. I would also check for loose connections in your circuit breaker panel. Also eliminate the power strips and see if that changes anything.

A year or so ago I had a couple call me about their cable box. It was giving them problems and the cable company told them that they needed an electrician. The cable company had replaced the coax wiring, the cable boxes and the splitters, but the couple still had problems with their cable box in the living room. I opened up every outlet, light, and switch on the circuit. I did not find anything seriously wrong, but I pigtailed and replaced every outlet anyway. The problem went away after that.

MrElectrician.TV

Last edited by MrElectricianTV; 10-04-2015 at 09:21 AM.
MrElectricianTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2015, 09:52 AM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

I suggest a small ups for your electronics. I can think of several reasons you are having problems and some there isn't s lot you can do about it but a ups will stop most if not all of them from affecting your electronics. You can go still go about researching the problem but it shouldn't cause you problems with your electronics while looking for any possible problems.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:35 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 7,374

Your fan is generating hash or spikes
This is getting into your computor gear
Try using power filters on your gear
If that don't work ?
Then just replace the
the fan and its controler.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:41 PM   #6

checked the fan in different outlets and other fans in the same outlets and everyones suspicions were right seems like the mentioned fan is generating some noise so is this electrical noise dangerous to my other electronics or just a small annoyance?
Old 10-05-2015, 02:58 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,428

Quote:
checked the fan in different outlets and other fans in the same outlets and everyones suspicions were right seems like the mentioned fan is generating some noise so is this electrical noise dangerous to my other electronics or just a small annoyance?
It won't harm your electrionics
poiihy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:02 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,410

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiihy View Post
It won't harm your electrionics
It is *very unlikely* to harm your electronics. Technically the behavior is undefined because the electronics are not designed to run on power that is doing that.
Tom738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:52 PM   #9

Thanks alot for the quick replies and information ive always been bothered about it but i can sleep a little better knowing its nothing too dangerous thought ill keep using it to a minimum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
computer , electrical , power strip , usb