Not Sure What To Do - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2010, 01:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

not sure what to do

I have 2 switches in one box one is a three way switch(its partner is on the other side of the room.) and a switch that controls two other lights. The power coming into the box is from the 12-3 wire from the other three way switch. can I just pigtail off the black and white wires to feed both switches.
samiller1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2010, 01:41 AM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiller1980 View Post
I have 2 switches in one box one is a three way switch(its partner is on the other side of the room.) and a switch that controls two other lights. The power coming into the box is from the 12-3 wire from the other three way switch. can I just pigtail off the black and white wires to feed both switches.
Yes and No due it depending on what conferation you have it on the three way switch itself that will play the whole thing.

normally in two gang box if you have one three way switch and one single pole switch here how I useally do 90% of the time.

XXmm² { XX AWG } cable or conductors first thing is get all the ground { bare or green } wirenutted and make a pigtails for two switches then set it aside then next step { this set up is for feed thru 3 way'er } is get all white [ netural ] and wirenutted together not need pigtail unless you have electronic dimmer or timer or poilt lite ]
next step is get the power source black conductor and make two pigtails that will be use for switch connection but on three way please pay attetion to the common screw location { it will be dark brass or black screw one of the two or marked common } once you get that part done then the rest will fall in place beside the three way take the black et red that will be on shuttle { traveller } screw that is bright brass colours.

on the other end of three way just reverse it what you have it on first switch.

I will find a picture how it hook up

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2010, 05:31 AM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 710

Am I missing something here? OP says the power is coming from the other 3 way switch on a 12-3. I can see that there can be a hot on the 12-3 but where is the neutral? Seems to me the other 2 wires in the 12-3 have to be travelers.

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2010, 07:05 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,800

If one 2-wire cable enters the switch box and both wires are attached to the regular switch, then that cable does not have power you can tap for something else. (See middle diagram below)

If one 3-wire cable enters the switch box and all 3 wires are attached to the 3 way switch then that cable does not have power you can tap for something else.

When power is run to a light fixture, the accompanying (non-3 way) switch box can be future proofed by using a 3 wire cable, the red for the tappable power down to the switch, the black for switched power back to the light, and the white as the neutral taped off and curled up for future use. (See right diagram below.)

* In the middle diagram, the red wire is often white.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-29-2010 at 07:58 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiller1980 View Post
where's the power comming from for the single pole switch now? or is this a new install? If all you have in the box is one 12/3 then you can't grab power from there. your white wire in this case is actually a hot wire(traveller) for the three way system.

Last edited by andrew79; 03-29-2010 at 01:58 PM. Reason: brain fart
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement