No Power Half Of Bedroom? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2015, 07:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 61

No Power Half of Bedroom?

I have a strange issue. My master bed, bath and closet are all on the same circuit apart from the GFCI outlets - 2 in the bedroom and one in the bathroom. This morning I noticed no lights in the bathroom, no lights in the closet and the outlets (non GFCI) closest to the closet and bathroom were also out. All the other outlets in the room on the same circuit are working normally, light/fan in the bedroom is also working normally.

The only items plugged in on that circuit are a small lamp, small air purifier and a cell phone. As I'm in Florida I typically unplug everything that isn't critical or on a heavy duty surge protector.

I've not done any electrical work in the house in the last year. The only thing that's changed recently is my PC. I've replaced that a few days ago however I've not had it on in a good 24 hours plus it's on a 720w UPS and on quality surge protector. It does however at peak load pull a good 550w. Prior to that in the last year I replaced the ceiling fan. I did use the idiot proof cable harness that came with it and ensured it was properly installed.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions that I can do before I call in a professional.
aidan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2015, 09:48 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 22,638

Sounds like a loose connection. The problem could be in working or non working device. If you know how the cable are routed between the device then the problem is in the first non working or the last working device in the circuit. Don't ignore switches. The power could pass through one of them.
A very common cause of this problem is back stab connections. If you have those I would move the wires to the screw terminals.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2015, 10:33 AM   #3

I've a feeling my first suspect will be the 20yr light fixture in the closet. It's gone through 3 bulbs in the last 2 years and it's one of the few original electrical devices in the house. Mostly everything is 4 years old or less.

Thanks for the response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2015, 10:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Sounds like a loose connection. The problem could be in working or non working device. If you know how the cable are routed between the device then the problem is in the first non working or the last working device in the circuit. Don't ignore switches. The power could pass through one of them.
A very common cause of this problem is back stab connections. If you have those I would move the wires to the screw terminals.
Funny you mention back stab connections. I never did quite like the idea of sticking the wire in there and have always twisted the wire around the screw terminals. It took longer to do (throughout an entire house) but I felt it was a more secure connection.

The first device on that circuit coming from the breaker box is in the closet.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:25 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Since part of the circuit is still working it is likely not the first device unless it takes two branches and only one of the branches is loose.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Since part of the circuit is still working it is likely not the first device unless it takes two branches and only one of the branches is loose.
Of course sitting at working thinking about it I had it flipped back to front in my mind. The first dead outlet in the circuit was the culprit. A lamp that was pluged in had it's plug pulled downward at a sharp angle and I think that bent or moved something inside the outlet. I removed the outlet checked the cabling and ensured everything was tight. Put it back in the wall and everything is working again. To be safe I'm replacing that outlet.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:35 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,428

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidan80 View Post
Of course sitting at working thinking about it I had it flipped back to front in my mind. The first dead outlet in the circuit was the culprit. A lamp that was pluged in had it's plug pulled downward at a sharp angle and I think that bent or moved something inside the outlet. I removed the outlet checked the cabling and ensured everything was tight. Put it back in the wall and everything is working again. To be safe I'm replacing that outlet.
was it back-stabbed? Sounds like the lamp plug disrupted the connections. The metal parts that are used to contact the wire are the same parts that contact the plug prongs, so whenever you plug or unplug a plug, you disturb the connections.
poiihy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:37 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 528

Quote:
I have a strange issue. My master bed, bath and closet are all on the same circuit apart from the GFCI outlets - 2 in the bedroom and one in the bathroom. This morning I noticed no lights in the bathroom, no lights in the closet and the outlets (non GFCI) closest to the closet and bathroom were also out. All the other outlets in the room on the same circuit are working normally, light/fan in the bedroom is also working normally.

The only items plugged in on that circuit are a small lamp, small air purifier and a cell phone. As I'm in Florida I typically unplug everything that isn't critical or on a heavy duty surge protector.

I've not done any electrical work in the house in the last year. The only thing that's changed recently is my PC. I've replaced that a few days ago however I've not had it on in a good 24 hours plus it's on a 720w UPS and on quality surge protector. It does however at peak load pull a good 550w. Prior to that in the last year I replaced the ceiling fan. I did use the idiot proof cable harness that came with it and ensured it was properly installed.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions that I can do before I call in a professional.

How many GFCI outets do you have?
2 in bedroom 1 in bath?/ if so there is no need for that at all you need only 1 on the circuit.
The bathroom also should not be tied in to multiple lights and bedroom outlets/circuit.Needs its own 20amp circuit with GFCI. NEC 210.11(c)(3)Section,

What amp is the breaker?
Plug a test light into the sockets also to see they are wired correctly too.

Last edited by hidden1; 12-02-2015 at 11:48 PM.
hidden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hidden1 For This Useful Post:
aidan80 (04-16-2016)
Old 12-03-2015, 06:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidden1 View Post
How many GFCI outets do you have?
2 in bedroom 1 in bath?/ if so there is no need for that at all you need only 1 on the circuit.
The bathroom also should not be tied in to multiple lights and bedroom outlets/circuit.Needs its own 20amp circuit with GFCI. NEC 210.11(c)(3)Section,

What amp is the breaker?
Plug a test light into the sockets also to see they are wired correctly too.
When I kill the GFCI circuit in the garage for the washer/dryer it also takes out two outlets in the bedroom on the opposite side of the wall as the washer/dryer and the GFCI outlet in the bathroom. The circuit marked as "Master Bed, Bath & Closet" takes out everything else in the bedroom.

I checked the wiring again on the wall outlet as I again lost power to the closet and bathroom and it's tight. It's not back stabbed, I wrapped the wire around the screws and tightened them down. I double checked to ensure I didn't screw up the wiring when I wired it 3 or 4 years ago and it's still good. As a precaution as I think that outlet is damaged internally I'm going to replace it.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:34 PM   #10

Re: No Power Half of Bedroom?

The issue in the end was.. a 15amp receptacle used on a 20amp line. When I plugged in my new power hungry computer it pulled so much power it (over time) melted the receptacle inside the wall. I checked the breaker in the garage and the wire. Replaced the receptacle with a 20amp version and everything is working normally.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:56 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Was the back stab connection used? That is a common issue with back stabs.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:33 PM   #12
Jello Wrangler

Rewards Points: 539

Quote:
The issue in the end was.. a 15amp receptacle used on a 20amp line. When I plugged in my new power hungry computer it pulled so much power it (over time) melted the receptacle inside the wall. I checked the breaker in the garage and the wire. Replaced the receptacle with a 20amp version and everything is working normally.
You can use 15 amp receptacles on 20 amp circuits. That's not what caused you outlet to melt.
ChiTownPro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChiTownPro For This Useful Post:
Oso954 (04-16-2016)
Old 07-17-2016, 09:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownPro View Post
You can use 15 amp receptacles on 20 amp circuits. That's not what caused you outlet to melt.
I'm aware a 15amp outlet can be used on a 20amp circuit. What cause my outlet to melt I'm assuming was pulling more current than the outlet was rated to. If I'm wrong here or missing something please let me know. As I've installed a 20amp outlet and had no issues in the months since.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:56 PM   #14
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,592

Loose connections cause excess heat.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:21 PM   #15
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,762

Quote:
When I plugged in my new power hungry computer it pulled so much power it (over time) melted the receptacle inside the wall.
Does your new computer use vacuum tubes? I can't imagine any home computer including most peripherals using anywhere near 15a.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement