DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   New Service Questions (

Codi 11-18-2010 08:19 AM

New Service Questions
I will be building a new house on a rural 2-acre lot. The poco explained they use underground cable and will provide the transformer/cabinet, a wooden post, and a 200A meter socket installed on that post. The meter socket box has a DPDT aux/disconnect switch lever for some future outdoor generator hookup option. From there I could provide temporary construction power, and power to my eventual house and other future structures. They could not give me any additional information or advice for liability reasons. Before I contact an electrician I wanted to check here to see if I'm on the right track with my following plan:

Initially have a Connecticut Electric RV combination box installed below the meter socket, containing a 30 amp breaker & outlet for my travel trailer, and a 20 amp GFCI breaker & outlet for power tools. Because this is less than 6 circuits, I wouldn't need a main breaker. But I would need a grounding rod tied to the ground + neutral inside the RV box.

Later on, the house will be connected to the meter socket as well via about 100 feet of cable. I would like to keep the RV box on the outdoor post for my travel trailer. But this is where it gets kind of foggy. Would the RV box then have to be behind a "main" breaker because the meter socket is now feeding what amounts to way more than 6 circuits? Would the house's grounding rod have to be directly tied together with the grounding rod at the outdoor post? And, does the meter socket's DPDT count as the required disconnect between the meter and the house? Or does that need to be an actual 200A breaker outside on the post as well?

Thank you in advance for helping me get my mind wrapped around this!

sprtskhne33 11-18-2010 09:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, the DPDT disconnect would count as your service disconnect at the pole, put you would also need one at the house as it's over 25ft from the house as stated in the NEC book. You also need to make sure that both enclosures, including your RV box are listed for outdoor use since the weather will be hitting it and as you said, fog. You would need the ground rod there, 5/8 x 10 feet, at that disconnect coming off the post. they would run, unless you have to, run ser cable 4 conductor 4/0, 4/0, 4/0, and either 2/0 or 4/0 ground and tie into the disconnect there and carry that over to your house where the other disconnect shall be. I attached a picture from paint program to show you what it should look like. If you are going to change your disconnect at the post from M.L. to M.B. later, just install the M.B. to begin with to save trouble later, and also yes a 20A GFCI at the post is all that's needed there, but all the sites I've been on has two. Hopes this helps.

a7ecorsair 11-18-2010 09:08 AM

This sounds just like my project:thumbup:
I used a Connecticut RV box for my 5th wheeler - my home during construction.
The power company set a new dual meter pedestal, I will have off peak electric heat, and I connected my garage and RV panel to the one meter for power during construction. Both will be, both are, permanent connections. The new house is also connected to this meter now and I have a few live outlets inside so we can work with the door closed and no extension cords running across the driveway.
My power pedestal is 80' from the house and each meter has a disconnect switch.
The garage, the RV panel, and the new house are all on the one meter and all are set up as main panel disconnects. The RV panel has its own grounding electrode, the garage has two electrodes, and the new house has concrete encased electrode (Ufer). All three have the neutral bar, the ground bar, and the bonding screw installed.
The off peak electric will also be a main disconnect all by itself on the other meter.
Updated: I only had to run 3 wires from the disconnect to the panels.

sprtskhne33 11-18-2010 09:54 AM

Are you sure? You have to carry your grounds over also unless you only had ground rods installed at your house, or it wasn't done to NEC standards.

a7ecorsair 11-18-2010 10:57 AM


I only had to run 3 wires from the disconnect to the panels.

Originally Posted by sprtskhne33 (Post 536299)
Are you sure? You have to carry your grounds over also unless you only had ground rods installed at your house, or it wasn't done to NEC standards.

But by panels are not sub-panels:no:. The switch on the meter pedestal is strictly a switch and not a breaker and there is a warning sticker that accompanies this so stating. This is how the inspector approved it too.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.